Sally's Reviews > Centennial

Jan 01, 09

bookshelves: beautiful, this-ll-take-a-while, randomly-own
Read in January, 2009

I'm enjoying this.

One thing about Michener's style that especially impresses me is that each chapter in most of his books read like a separate novella. Centennial reads so far like eleven novellas within an epic novel.

Some how the characters overlap, but mostly within generations. He also references specific events and narratives from previous novellas, such as how the beaver dam (loved that part) showed up in the chapter on the devious, thieving Wendells.

Finally finished this one. Just as when I conquered Hawaii I feel like he fast-forwards generations and assumes we can all easily reference all of the great-grandfather's character traits.

Not so much on his "weaker sex" references, nor those of the "lazy and gentle Mexican." I'm glad I read this, though, and feel much more acquainted with the history of my home state.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Centennial.

12/10/2008 page 145
13.73% "I don't know why I'm such a sucker for Michener but I am." 1 comment
12/17/2008 page 367
34.75% "I'm finished with the beginning of time, the formation of the land, the plight of the beavers, and the Our People tribe. What's next?" 2 comments
12/21/2008 page 450
42.61% "Although the "Massacre" section has been horrifically depressing, I'm still truckin' through this one."
12/22/2008 page 537
50.85% "It's like Lonesome Dove, the abbreviated version."
01/01/2009 page 1007
95.36% "I'm ready to conquer this beast."
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy i am curious about this one. let me know what you think! i heard its hard to get through?

Charly It is well worth the effort.It may get to rank among your all time favorites. When i read it ti took me a month to finish the last hundred pages only because I didn't want it to end. He is a master wordsmith.

message 3: by Félix (new) - added it

Félix My favorite Michener work.