Dora Okeyo's Reviews > The Piano Teacher

The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee

Aug 22, 2012

liked it
Read in August, 2012

When I started reading this book I couldn't help but hate how it was all about parties and people making comments about others and the wine-and how Will was in the wrong place.
But as I continued reading it I realized that there was more to Will and his love for Trudy and even though the war did tear them apart-just the fact that he relives every memory of Trudy through his affair with Claire- made me hate him. I felt like he was using Claire to revive his life with Trudy and to try and make amends for having been a coward when Trudy needed him the most. He makes the same mistake of leaving Claire to take care of the baby-just like he did with Trudy-and he's the only character who doesn't learn from his past mistakes.
I gave this book three starts because of that-I was expecting a happy ending but I got something even better, a real ending and I also grew to admire Claire for her brevity-she decided to keep the baby and take care of it no matter what happened, and she didn't demand that Will stay in her life too, that was being brave.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piano Teacher.