Unabridged Bookshelf's Reviews > Flukes

Flukes by Nichole Chase

Dec 22, 12

Read in December, 2012

Flukes takes the mermaid myth and really take ownership of that mythology. I have always loved mermaid stories, since seeing “The Little Mermaid,” because Ariel was marvelous! I really loved Meena as a mermaid, and her loyalty and love for her family. Meena was also fierce and protective, which made me love her story even more. Meena does not have that many friends, because she has to protect her secret. When she starts to fall for the bad boy, Blake, she is starting to wonder if she can trust him to keep her secret.

Blake starts out as the bad boy with the motorcycle and community service, but very quickly, his true character is revealed. Meena brings a lot of the good out of him, even though he is not your typical bad boy. He just likes been thought of that way, until he lays eyes on Meena. I also think Blake is a great match for Meena, because he causes her to move outside her comfort zone. Their connection to each other is sweet and caring, which I really liked.

The author, Nichole Chase, has done a really beautiful job of creating an epic romance tale with a bit of a supernatural twist. I have to say that shortly after starting Flukes; I knew that this book was going to have me staying up reading late at night, because I would not be able to go to bed until I reached the end. I had to know how the story ended up, and there were a few twists that I did not quite see what was coming until it was right in my face.

Flukes was also a relatively quick read, so I did not have to say up too late trying to get to the end. It is a New Adult book, so there are situations that happen during the story that are not appropriate for younger teens. I loved the flow of the story, and how fast the book sucks you into the story. Any fan of mermaids would love this book, because Nichole Chase has done an unforgettable job!

**Unabridged Bookshelf received this book from the author, in exchange for an honest review**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flukes.