Annmarie's Reviews > Momma Zen: Walking the Crooked Path of Motherhood

Momma Zen by Karen Maezen Miller

Nov 03, 09

Read in October, 2009

Well - I read it - during a rough week - so perhaps that affected my opinion of this book. I wasn't in a ZEN frame of mind so it didn't meet my expectations. I appreciate my book club letting me pick it so I could read it since I have wanted to! It was interesting to read from a Buddist point of view. I appreciated some of the points like:
- Don't yearn for the past or future. Just enjoy the now! "Here is everything and everything is here." = Don't waste a glance at what was or what has yet to be.
- The tip of when turning off the kids TV show or computer game to say, "let's . . . " Then go do something with your child.
- Reminder to start with yourself when there are issues!
- USE YOUR WORDS, good advice for toddlers and adults, be an example of practicing to say what we say/want/feel.
- As a mom I'm a spectator to a spendid show and I have the best seat in the house.
- Expect less from your spouse and more from yourself.
- Being happy is everything.
- Be yourself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm choosing this for my book club choice. I can't feel good about picking a regular fiction book with so many other books out there I think would help me. So I"m taking the chance to get this read. The first thing that has stood out to me is "I was blindsided by how difficult motherhood was." Nice honest statement and I can relate.

A missionary companion of mine read this (she met the author) and so I read some reviews online and it appears to be short and worth reading. (for all women - I asked her opinion on that) Some said it is the book to give new moms and to tell them to forget all the other parenting books. ??? We'll see what I think later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Momma Zen.