Erin's Reviews > Transcend

Transcend by Christine Fonseca

Sep 10, 12

bookshelves: favorite-authors, favorites
Read from September 07 to 09, 2012

I was warned before reading Transcend that it was not going to be easy on the emotions, and wow was that the truth!! This story was such a creepy, heart-wrenching, unforgiving tale of torment. It grips you from the very first page and never lets go, planting a seed in your mind that slowly drives you to the brink of madness. Bravo to Christine Fonseca for this outstanding work, and for absolutely taking me by surprise and flooring me with a story so compelling that it's guaranteed to captivate any reader!

Transcend hits you with a knock-out punch to the heart from the very start, with a broken Ien writing a beautiful love letter to his Kiera. He was so full of hurt and anguish, and I knew right then I was in for a story that would rip my heart out!! It seemed like at first his love for her was muddled in with his hatred for his mother's overbearing control of his life. She had her mind set on what he would do and be in life, what kind of woman he would marry...but he had grown tired of the lack of freedom in his life. When he proposes to Kiera and they share a sweet moment, it was clear that his feelings for her ran much deeper than a simple rebellion. It was a sweet, tender moment before all hell broke loose after the accident, and he relives that moment over and over again in his head, grasping at that one glint of happiness in his otherwise strained past.

Ien was left so disfigured that even those he loved were sickened by it; he was sent away to die in a sanatorium, his parents pretending that he had died because they were too ashamed to have him a part of their lives anymore. The only one who could bear to be near him was Jenna, the one who cared for him no matter what- whether whole or broken, handsome or scarred. The pain and torture he goes through after the accident was so upsetting to read, and to watch him have to endure the life he once had go on around him was just awful. I wanted so badly for him to turn to somehow find peace with Jenna instead of his obsession with Kiera, but as he slowly slipped further and further into madness it seemed like there was no good left for him anyway. It was truly heartbreaking.

I went through an Edgar Allen Poe kick when I was in highschool, and this story gave me the same goose bump-enducing chills I got back in the day!! There was this feeling of foreboding and madness throughout the whole story, and it left a knot in my stomach as Ien grew more and more desperate. The only thing that drives him is making his mother pay and winning back Kiera's heart, and he's so blinded by this that he pushes everything else out of his mind. He doesn't know who to trust, what to believe, or what is truly real, and you can't help but get sucked right into his despair with him. When everything finally began to unfold and Ien's madness was unleashed, it was like a whirling torrent of insanity, heartbreak, and anger that I couldn't tear myself away from. This was such an intense and beautifully-written story, and I just loved the wild, poetic ride that Christine Fonseca created!! Five enthusiastic stars for this amazing work of art!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Transcend.

09/05/2012 "Loving this so far, it's written like poetry-beautiful!!"
09/07/2012
30.0% "So heartbreaking and creepy, I can tell this one's going to get to me!!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christine Fonseca I have no words except...THANK YOU!

Erin Christine wrote: "I have no words except...THANK YOU!"

You deserve the praise, girl, this was just outstanding!!

Sylvia Awesome review Erin...this book is exactly as you describe it!!

The Cover Contessa Amazing review, Erin!