Bryan's Reviews > The Worthing Saga

The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card

Dec 10, 08

bookshelves: sci-fi, favorites
Read in November, 2008

I love so many things about this book, its hard to know where to start. The basic premise is a bit complicated, however while reading it, everything makes perfect sense. Instead of trying to type up a plot summary, I'll discuss some of the wonderful themes and devices used in the book.

Since The Worthing Saga is a compilation of a few different stories tied together, it actually describes two different dystopias and their eventual collapses. I find that many people tend to overlook the dystopic theme of the story, but I think the idea works almost better then your normal 1984, Brave New World or We. Instead of an evil or corrupt dystopia, or a dystopia founded on the loss of human emotions, The Worthing Saga discusses a dystopia founded on the loss of pain. While it may sound great to live without pain, after reading this book you'll understand why its such a dreadful idea to some of the books characters.

I've read this book multiple times about 8 years ago, lost my original copy, managed to find 2 much older editions of the earlier stories (also added on my bookshelf) and finally found another copy for a few bucks at a used bookstore. I couldnt resist reading it again, so the finished date only reflects the most recent read.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worthing Saga.