Rebecca's Reviews > My Name Is Memory

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

Sep 19, 12

bookshelves: book-club
Read from September 13 to 17, 2012, read count: 1

I'm kind of ambivalent about this--I enjoyed a lot of things about this, but not the main character. I found Daniel to be completely selfish and unsympathetic. I liked Lucy, I liked Ben, I liked the story building, but it's hard to really enjoy a book when you feel like your main protagonist needs to be whacked upside the head. Daniel never really grew as a character. He changed superficially at the end, enough to refer to Lucy as Lucy and not Sophia, but he was still all about himself. Even his desire to save Lucy wasn't about anything else but himself, his desires, his feelings, his his his. It astonishes me that someone who lived that many lifetimes could still contain such an egocentric point of view; wouldn't you have learned by now that the world is a lot bigger than one person's ego?

I was surprised at the ending, I thought for sure at the end that (view spoiler) and the book would end with (view spoiler). That would have made me throw the book. I think that I was told that it was the start of a series, but I forgot, so the ending didn't make sense to me until I remember. I hope that any future books (if I choose to read them) would make some sense of the hints that were scattered through the book of some kind of real plotline. It was too simple and too neat to deal with those kind of themes. I can't imagine living that many lifetimes without doing something useful. How about picking a cause each lifetime? Suffrage! Poverty! Education! Do something with your life instead of wasting it. His method of living the lifetimes seemed like a form of hell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Memory.