Beth F.'s Reviews > The Devil and Miss Prym

Dec 30, 08

bookshelves: 1001-books, fairy-tales-and-fables, 2008, tnbbc-winter-2008
Recommended for: Agnostics
Read in December, 2008

This is one of those books where “this book was about ___,” is not nearly as important as “this book made me think about ___.” And because of the book’s popularity, you probably already know what it’s about anyway. If not, here’s a refresher: it’s about the battle between good and evil. There are angels and devils, a rogue wolf, an arms dealer, a bar wench and it all takes place in a rural community, purportedly in Brazil.

I’ve read some critiques of this book and one of the complaints I keep seeing over and over again are people complaining about how cliché it is to write a book about good and evil. “Give me a break, it’s all been done before, gag me with a spoon, Christian guilt…, boring, stupid, bla-bla-bla…”

My reaction to those responses is difficult to put into words. Because on one hand, I agree. I’m sick of hearing about it and feeling like it’s being jammed down my throat in ways that are insulting, naïve, dull, etc. But on the other hand, I feel like I’d be lying to myself if I didn’t admit that the concept of an otherworldly battle between good and evil really rings my bell.

I’ve been thinking about this book almost non-stop for the past couple days (hence the five star review). Yesterday afternoon in the food court—I was thinking about angels and devils. Last night when we took a tour through a house that’s for sale—I was thinking about good vs. evil. This morning on the bus—are humans inherently good or inherently evil? Or are we simply tempted by one or the other? Do we have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other whispering into our ears? Where did evil come from? How did it get here? It’s all very interesting and it will make your head spin if you let it. I did.

The book is also relatively short so even though I’m back to work after a Christmas break that was jam-packed with reading, so don’t have nearly as much time to read for pleasure, I still read this book in about two days. Not bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil and Miss Prym.

12/28/2008 page 26
12/29/2008 page 83
41.29% "I'm loving it so far."
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sarah A rogue wolf? I heart wolves!!! I'm looking forward to reading this one!

Beth F. You need to read more werewolf books then!

And this wolf has a very small role, lol. But they only/always refer to it as the "rogue wolf" and "rogue" anything yanks my crank and obviously warranted a mention in a review. :D

Sarah I don't know of many werewolf books, unfortunately. Have any suggestions? As long as they aren't lame, that is. I don't care for lame werewolves. Or lame vampires.

message 6: by Beth F. (last edited Jan 02, 2009 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth F. Vampires and werewolves are lame!!!

Even though I love them, I still have enough common sense to feel appropriately ashamed of my infatuation in certain circumstances. For an example, last week when my mother-in-law saw me hunkered down reading Dead as a Doornail, she asked, “what are you reading?” And I had to say, “oh, this? Absolute rubbish. It’s about vampires. They’re silly, but vampire novels are my guilty pleasure. I just can’t help myself.” She was like, “uhh……???....???..........so…???...would you like to put together a jigsaw puzzle with me???”

I know she was freaked out. She’s a college professor and she knows I read literary fiction as well—we’ve had several discussions—so I think she thought I had higher standards for my taste in fiction and was taken aback when I admitted that I’m a fan of nerd trash. :P

I’m not familiar with many werewolf specific books. I know they’re out there, but I tend to gravitate towards the books that are only about vampires or books that include a mixed cast of characters.

I would maybe start with urban fantasy. I know you’re like me and not overly fond of epic fantasies but urban fantasy is a horse of a different color. There’s also a lot less sex in the urban fantasies than in the typical vampire/werewolf novel.

I would try Storm Front by Jim Butcher or Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning. Those are the first books in two of my favorites the urban fantasy genre. One takes place in Chicago and the other takes place in Ireland.

If you’re up for the kink, try Dark Lover Black Dagger Brotherhood 1 by J.R. Ward. It’s graphic and bizarre but very compelling. And addictive. And...yeah...

Beth F. Oh yeah...and if you can get over how much of a bitch Anne Rice was that time she made an appearance at your bookshop, many of her vampire novels are worth the read too. :)

Sarah Anne Rice IS a bitch. But I don't always hold that against people. I'm very much looking forward to reading Interview with the Vampire.

Of course vampires and werewolves are lame. But, at times they can be more lame than normal. Especially when they involve love-sick teenagers, 190-year-old vampire virgins or strapping clothes to your furry leg so you aren't naked when you transform into a human.

Not to say I don't still like it...

Beth F. Apparently Bitten is about werewolves. It was recently passed on to my by a friend who shares my affinity for bizarre supernatural books. I'll send it to you once I finish it.

I don't know much about it and am not sure when I'll get around to reading it (soon, I hope) but will mail it once I do.

P.S. I will ship that box of books to you ASAP. I've been meaning to ship them for the past FOREVER and keep slacking off.

message 2: by Raveena (new)

Raveena gonna be reading this tomorrow! thanks to your review, I'm more excited for it :)

Jötunn Brazil? Come on, it's in the mountains between Spain and France. It mentions celtic heritage and monoliths around the village, so it is definitely in Europe.