Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Bridge of Time

Bridge of Time by Lewis Buzbee

Aug 22, 2012

bookshelves: childrens, historical-fiction, novel, san-francisco, speculative-fiction, young-adult, goodreads-author, books-about-books, time-travel, orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned-kids, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Manybooks
Recommended for: yes!!! (see review below)
Read from September 03 to 09, 2012

I have a too long recommended for list for the recommend to field. I can heartily recommend this book to 9 to 13 year olds (and those young at heart) who enjoy historical fiction stories and/or speculative fiction time travel stories, kids who are going through or have gone through divorce or another loss, who are ambivalent about change and/or growing up, who have an interest in San Francisco and/or San Francisco history, have enjoyed any books by Mark Twain, who are looking for a terrific friendship story, who are having any kind of rough time whatsoever, who are interested in history in general and curious about the future, who are introspective, and anyone who enjoys a wonderful story.

I loved this book. The only thing that felt a little odd to me were some of the interactions between Joan and Lee, but I got used to their communication style and it ended up working well for me.

I loved the creative chapter titles, containing multiples words/phrases that give information about chapter content to come.

I loved the ingenious time travel aspects, and Mark Twain, especially the Tom Sawyer material, and especially Samual Clemens the man. What a hoot to have him in this story in this way. I love the glimpses of old San Francisco; they were very enlightening. I liked all the characters and their relationships.

The story is so, so creative. The premise is great, and its fruition worked, at least for me.

I particularly liked the San Francisco setting, the main reason I got to the book as quickly as I did, present (2012) and past(s) and possible future. Great fun! I love recognizing so many places. Oh, and the other main reason I got to this book is because I loved another book by this author: The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop.

I’m saddened and perplexed that of the 10 copies at the San Francisco Public Library, 9 of them for lending, 1 of those borrowed by me, that 5 are on the shelf, available. Today’s San Francisco kids, both sexes, all races, especially those 9 through 13: read this! All copies should be checked out, with a reserve queue. Perhaps many kids/families have purchased this. I have seen copies in local independent bookstores.

4 ½ stars, 5 stars from my younger self

This book would have been ideal for me when I was 11-12, after the death of my mother.

It would make a fine bibliotherapy book for kids who are struggling with any loss or change.

I’d like to see it in many households, and all school libraries and children’s hospital libraries.

It might be a good choice for reluctant readers too, depending upon their interests.

And, look at all the bookshelves I was able to use for this book!

Thanks to Goodreads’ friend Gundula. I guess I originally found this because of your shelving of it. Now, it’s your turn to read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge of Time.

09/03 page 1
0.0% "I love San Francisco books, and I loved The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by this author. I'm excited to start this later today."
09/04 page 55
18.0% "Major computer woes have left little time for reading, but what i've read, I am thoroughly enjoying." 1 comment
09/05 page 89
30.0% "Very enjoyable story. It might make my favorite-time-travel-books shelf. Very clever and interesting so far."
09/07 page 107
36.0% "Loving the humor, the time travel, and Mark Twain, and the two kids, and the friendship story. The premise is great. San Francisco is great."
09/08 page 176
60.0% "Wonderful book! I hope it holds up until the end. I think it will."
01/03 marked as: read

message 1: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks I better bump this up, Lisa :-)

Lisa Vegan Gundula wrote: "I better bump this up, Lisa :-)"

I definitely would. I wasn't sure it would come through but it did.

message 3: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Gundula wrote: "I better bump this up, Lisa :-)"

I definitely would. I wasn't sure it would come through but it did."

I have requested it from the library already :-)

Lisa Vegan Gundula wrote: "I have requested it from the library already :-) "

I hope you enjoy it. I'll be interested in your opinion.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "Adding this now! That was quite a recommendation... ;)"

Abigail, I really love this book. I could say so much more about it, but, as I think you know, I don't usually put much about plot in my reviews.

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Sep 11, 2012 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan It did take me awhile to get used to the way the 2 kids talked to one another, but I got used to it and even ended up liking it.

Lisa Vegan And the time travel was done REALLY well.

message 8: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "And the time travel was done REALLY well."

So, the library has three copies, two are missing and one is signed out, yikes.

Lisa Vegan Gundula, Can you put a reserve on the one that's signed out? I do that at my library all the time.

message 10: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Gundula, Can you put a reserve on the one that's signed out? I do that at my library all the time."

I've done that, I just find it strange that with a new book, two copies are already missing (I've noticed that especially with books on the shelves at my own local branch, so I cannot help but wonder wether this is not a sign of either unorganised, negligent shelving practices).

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Perhaps, but I'd guess it's more likely kids borrowing them and not returning them, either because they've lost them or want to keep them. I hate to think it but they also could be outright stolen; that does happen in my libraries. You could call and ask though. It is a shame that 2 out of 3 copies are already out of circulation.

I'm in San Francisco so it makes sense we have more copies. 10, but 1 is for library use only, so 9. So far, none are missing.

message 12: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 12, 2012 12:57AM) (new) - added it

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Perhaps, but I'd guess it's more likely kids borrowing them and not returning them, either because they've lost them or want to keep them. I hate to think it but they also could be outright stolen;..."

I guess I could ask, but at least at my local branch, any kind of questions pertaining to lost or stolen books are generally not answered all that readily (last week, I asked why almost all of the books by one particular author that I had had to return because they were due, are now missing from the shelves and staff was extremely reluctant to answer, in fact, I was told it was inappropriate for me to even ask such a question; I think they protest too much).

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Wow?! That's horrible, Gundula. Now I'm wondering if the librarians are making off with them. ;-)

I can't imagine one of my librarians saying it was inappropriate to ask. At best, though, they say they'll look into it and get back to me, and at worst they'll say they have no idea and that's that. A couple times they have found missing books for me, usually accidentally shelved at the wrong branch or sometimes shelved wrong at the branch, just as you said. But 2 of 3 of one book?!

message 14: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Wow?! That's horrible, Gundula. Now I'm wondering if the librarians are making off with them. ;-)

That's what I have been thinking as well. There are a few librarians at my local branch who really believe they are somehow way above everyone else and give you a dirty look if you even approach the desk with a question. I have to admit that I got suspicious when four books by the same author went missing almost as soon as I had returned them, sigh (and I had not had time to review them yet, that was why I had made another request for them).

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Well if you returned all four at once it's more believable that maybe they somehow all got lost at once. If that's the case they should be findable though.

That's too bad about your librarians. Overall I've had good experiences at my library. Libraries can be such wonderful places. The behaviors you're describing go a long way toward ruining the experience. Too bad!

message 16: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Sounds wonderful, Lisa! Great review!

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "Sounds wonderful, Lisa! Great review!"

It is. Thanks.