Roben's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Aug 22, 12

This is yet another dystopian tale, maybe - not exactly post-apocalyptic but rather taking you through the beginning to a bit beyond mid-point apocalyptic. Julia is 11 when the earth starts slowing. The days (as in 24 hour days) grow longer. And longer. And longer. The story is about growing up while this is happening. The setting is California - there is desert and beach and canyons.
It was well-written and I kept reading to see what would happen. There is a sort of hope though I think it might better be described as thinly veiled despair. I don't think things would play out quite as sweetly in the real world. Not all people caught in an end of the world type of scenario would behave as well. Octavia Butler's "Parable of the Sower" probably is more realistic though it is a truer science fiction than Miracles which is - appropriately, methinks - classified as Fiction in my library.
So the story is not really about what is happening to the world but more about how Julia and her small circle of family and friends respond to what is happening... even though their responses may not be genuine since no one is really sure what The Slowing does to your brain...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.