Sian Bradshaw's Reviews > Private Games

Private Games by James Patterson

Aug 22, 12

Read in August, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Living in London during the Olympics and having a mild interest in Greek/Roman mythology, I thought this would be an intriguing listen for those early morning commutes on what turned out to be empty trains, thanks Boris.

Imagine someone had briefed a sun journalist to write a thriller in a weekend, and at the last minute they're told the subject - the Olympics. There are clumsy fumbles all over it - a private security firm called F7 - yeah right who could that be? The names of the characters irritate me; Knight, Pope and Lancer. And here's the thing that tells me that even the author realises it's crap: The review on his own website has the main character as Nigel Steele who is the single father of twins. The audio book has it as Peter Knight who is cursed with the brats. By the way these kids at the age of three have a pretty advanced vocabulary although still haven't mastered the crapper.

And there was one point at which the knicker elastic of my suspension of disbelief twanged: Imagine you have twins, would you hire a nanny you met in the park after about two minutes of conversation? Can't tell the difference between Bosnian and Estonian mate? Err you're a private investigator and your kids aren't worth a little background research? Does faecal incontinence lower the paternal responsibility imperative that much?

Well it just happens that she's a Bosnian war criminal in league with an insane Olympian purist out to cleanse the Games. Although, to be fair, she did manage to get one of the kids to use the bog. Goes a small way to making up for her promising to shoot them using an AK with a coke bottle silencer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Private Games.