Jeremy's Reviews > Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War

2015330
Aug 29, 12

Recommended for: Fans of the "Warcraft" universe
Read from August 28 to 29, 2012, read count: 1

I was of two minds about this book from the outset, given that the showcase character of Jaina Proudmoore is not one I've ever had great interest in. Personal foibles aside, however, I would say that this book is perhaps the strongest of the World of Warcraft offerings yet released - even managing to compete with and perhaps surpass my previous favorite in the series "Arthas: Rise of the Lich King." Kudos to Mrs. Golden for being able to spin a tale that reinvested me in a character for whom my interest had previously been flagging.

At its core "Tides of War" is a rapidly paced tale of escalating tensions within World of Warcraft's two primary factions, coupled with more far-reaching and global circumstances that quickly become seamlessly intertwined. The story also contains a great many interpersonal flourishes that breathe believability into the narrative as well as cultivate a feeling of personal involvement to the characters. This is made all the more poignant with the realities of total war come crashing down, changing many long-held relationships and allegiances, and calling into question the very nature of things once held true. It's a riveting ride and I found it difficult to tear myself away from it for any length of time.

The only flaw in the book I would note was that the rapid pace of the storytelling bled into the development of the characters and their relationships somewhat. This is perhaps an unfortunate side-effect of tale set in the midst of war, but it did serve to hamper the believability of some of the situations the characters found themselves in. Overall, "Tides of War" was an excellent story and a pleasure to read, a solid additional to anyone following the World of Warcraft's extended storyline.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jaina Proudmoore.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± "It's a riveting ride and I found it difficult to tear myself away from it for any length of time."

I can attest to this, since you stayed awake all night to finish it. ;)

message 2: by Lene (new) - added it

Lene Would you say that I could read this book without having read the previous books from Blizzard?

Jeremy Lene wrote: "Would you say that I could read this book without having read the previous books from Blizzard?"

You could, yes - though assuming you had neither read the previous books nor played the games they're based on, I would say there would be dimensions of the story you would miss. The characters are well enough described to stand on their own, as is the plot, but their motivations and decisions might not come across so well without prior knowledge of the greater back-story.

message 4: by Lene (new) - added it

Lene Okay - I have played wow for more than 2 years but did not really get into the storylines you know? I will try to read it or I just have to get the other books first then :)
Thanks