Dorian's Reviews > Tomorrow, When the War Began

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

Aug 22, 12

bookshelves: library-books
Read in August, 2012

I've heard a lot about this book over the years. Possibly too much. I finally got to read it, and...well, it didn't live up to my expectations. Which is not to say that I didn't like it - I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

The story is simple enough - Ellie, an Australian teenager (17 or so at a guess) goes camping in the bush with a bunch of friends. When they return to civilisation about a week later, everyone they know has vanished from their homes. Gradually, they discover that their country has been invaded, and everyone else is in a PoW camp. Now what do they do?

My first stumbling block was the basic premise. Why the hell would anyone invade Australia? There is an in-story justification provided, but it doesn't seem plausible to me. It also isn't, admittedly, very important to the story, which is more concerned with dealing with the aftermath/results of the invasion than worrying about the hows and whys of it. But it still bugged me.

And then there was the narrator. The story is told in the first person by Ellie. Unfortunately, the author did a pretty good job of depicting the thought processes of a teenage girl. I found her angsting and would-be Deep Thoughts rather tiresome. Realistic, yes, definitely. But very tiresome.

And...well, I know this is the first book in a series, but it really didn't seem to go anywhere. Possibly because there isn't anywhere much for a bunch of teenagers in a war zone to go.

I'm not sure I can be bothered getting the library to get me the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow, When the War Began.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Proffitt So it looks like this is a book we agree on. Especially on Ellie and her Deep Thoughts. I think a third-person narrative would have increased my enjoyment greatly...though probably not enough for me to love it. I work the Scholastic warehouse sales sometimes, and they pay in store credit, plus you pay half cover price at least. I still didn't care enough to get the whole trilogy.

Dorian Trilogy? It's septalogy! (With sequel trilogy for added somethingorother.)

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Proffitt Oh, geez, now I'm depressed. Thanks a ton, Dorian. :)

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily How do i start the book

Dorian Emily wrote: "How do i start the book"

You could try opening the cover and beginning to turn over the pages.