Laine's Reviews > Zombie Fallout

Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo

Aug 22, 2012

did not like it

It seems Mark Tufo has a lot of fans, but I just didn't care for this book.

Maybe it was the style- it felt like I was reading the first draft. Even though it's a journal style (which, really, who has time to keep a journal during an apocalypse?), it still should have been edited. Some sentences were just hard to follow, and some felt like a completely different writing style than the rest of it. Definitely needs an editor.

Perhaps part of it was the cliché- it's nearly impossible to find a zombie story that doesn't feature an ex-military man as the main character. He's pretty stereotypical, and doesn't seem to react to the things going on around him like any normal person would.

Sometimes the character would go off on tangents that didn't relate to the story or add to the character development at all. Mostly they were just a distraction that slowed the story.

Also, I have no idea if the author has any control over this (I'm guessing it's Amazon's doing) but some of the formatting was strange. Some paragraphs were indented all the way down instead of just the first sentence. Since this is not an issue with the writing itself, I did not take this in to consideration when selecting the number of stars, but felt readers should be aware of this if they plan to read it on a Kindle because it is a bit distracting.

Nice efforts, but needs some work. I doubt I'll continue on with the series, which is disappointing because I love serials.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombie Fallout.

Titus214 I agree the writing style threw me off. Im going to finish it but ach. Good thing it was only 2.99 for kindle.

message 2: by Pablo (new)

Pablo Thanks for letting me know that the book was written in journal style. Generally, I hate that. I think it's lazy writing passing itself off as clever first-person narration.