Ashley's Reviews > East

East by Edith Pattou

Aug 22, 12

Read in August, 2012

Beauty and the Beast is easily one of the most celebrated and beloved fairy-tales of all time, directly inspiring other fairy-tales in its wake. East of the Sun and West of the Moon is one of these, a Norwegian folk tale directly inspired from the old tale.

East is a new take on an old story. It doesn't really offer anything new to the table and story, but delivers beautifully. Ms. Pattou creates a lovely albeit harsh world that for 500 pages you feel completely immersed in. The language and narrative is stunning, as you feel like you're journeying with the heroine to find her true love, and make right what was an unfortunate accident.

It's not without its drawbacks, however. The romance is sadly lacking. We're TOLD the heroine and her prince love each other, but we're never SHOWN how this love develops. It's all too quick, which is often a problem for most Beauty and the Beast novels. There doesn't seem to be a deep connection between the two lovers, which makes the heroine's journey to find him a bit unbelievable and jarring.

Despite that, it's a wonderfully crafted novel. I've read it dozens of times since I was a young girl, and get something new out of it each time. I would suggest it if you're a fan of Beauty and the Beast and the old Norwegian folk tale, but keep in mind if you're looking for a sweeping love story, you'll be left wanting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East.