ttg's Reviews > Finders, Keepers

Finders, Keepers by Chris Quinton

Sep 16, 12

bookshelves: m-m, reviews
Read in September, 2012

3.5 stars – Pretty readable m/m mystery suspense romance about Jeff, an insurance security operative who specializes in “skin jobs” or seducing people as a part of the case. Coming off a long job in Russia, Jeff finds himself shoved into a new assignment with no lag time to decompress, and this new assignment is made even more difficult by both his real attraction to his mark, and to his continuing struggle with balancing the character he’s supposed to play and the real him slipping through.

The things I liked—the author did a nice job of balancing both MC perspectives, that of Jeff (the operative) and Alan (the object of his seduction.) Both characters are likeable, especially Alan, who radiates decency and is quite pleased that Jeff is interested in him. I also appreciated how she wrote them as very balanced as they bounce off each other--one wasn’t super Alpha over the other. Partway through, the story also shifts from upstate New York to England, and the rural local was also fun to read about.

What didn’t work so well—the characters are likeable, but I still felt they lacked depth, and I wouldn’t have minded them having stronger personalities. The story also felt a little slow and dull. I liked the build-up and the attraction growing between Jeff and Alan, but what tension the story had didn’t feel enough to make it a really riveting read. It’s a pleasant book, but not very memorable. I’m not sure what would work to strengthen it though, maybe a longer climax with more action, or longer epilogue with more character interaction. ((view spoiler) Overall, an okay read, well-written, but I would have liked a little more excitement.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finders, Keepers.