Trudi's Reviews > The Dark Tower, Volume 2: The Long Road Home

The Dark Tower, Volume 2 by Robin Furth

Jul 21, 14

bookshelves: graphic-novel, stephen-king, series, apocalyptic-types, 2008-reads, dark-tower, science-fiction, fantasy
Read in December, 2008

So this is the second collection in Marvel's graphic novel adaptation of King's Dark Tower series. While I LOVE reading about Roland again, and the art work is gorgeous, I'm deeply conflicted as well. There's something here that isn't quite working for me, that seems off. I think the problem is that I'm comparing it to the source material too much, when I should be enjoying the work as its own unique experience (like a film adaptation).

It's also very much focused on young Roland. And I guess that's what's troubling me; Roland young is interesting, but Roland old is a literary legend. I long for the mature, wise, mean Roland, merciless and calculating Roland, courageous and flawed, cool and temperamental. Oh how I miss him.

The young, impetuous, impulsive, rebellious Roland is starting to be kind of a letdown by comparison. I remember feeling this way when I got to Book 4 Wizard and Glass; I enjoyed it immensely once I reconciled myself to the fact that we were going way back in the story to young Roland, but that doesn't mean I wasn't chomping at the bit to return to the "real" Roland. So the creators have decided to tell young Roland's story instead of mature, grizzled Roland. I would never have thought this could matter so much, but it does, it really does.

One more thing: when you read the novels, there is so much you DON'T know for a long time. It's like a puzzle, a really addictive puzzle. King metes out answers morsel by morsel and it's not until the last book and thousands of pages on that the full picture emerges (likely because King himself didn't know how it was all going to finally come together). But here's the thing: the graphic novels have already let so much out of the bag already...about Roland's origins, his destiny, even the Crimson King and his intentions, and what the Dark Tower is and why it's so important. It's too much too soon. I realize that the authors are working on a smaller canvas but where's the mystery? So far the story is very straightforward with uber-heroes vs. uber-villains.

My advice: Read the books first!!! There's a method to King's madness in how the Dark Tower plot unfolded over the course of three decades and thousands of pages. The reward at the end is indescribable. The graphic novels will steal that experience from you even though that is not the authors' intent. It's clear that the graphic novels are a labour of love and Peter David and Robin Furth have my utmost respect and gratitude for keeping Roland's story going.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tower, Volume 2.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoeytron (new)

Zoeytron The points you are making about the books are right on the money. For anyone who intends to read the books it would be a shame to have too many answers too soon. I'm also with you on the reward at the end being indescribable. Thanks for a super review, Trudi.

Trudi Zoeytron wrote: "The points you are making about the books are right on the money. For anyone who intends to read the books it would be a shame to have too many answers too soon. I'm also with you on the reward a..."

Thanks so much!