PhobicPrerogative's Reviews > Lengths

Lengths by Steph Campbell

Aug 22, 12

bookshelves: sorta-read-dnf-skipped-to-the-end
Read in August, 2012

Other than the strange relationships that Deo[dorant] had with his mother and grandfather - one who would butt in on his sex life, the other who they would insult each other like they were peers - Lengths didn't leave me with any mad love for the characters.

I often don't mind profanity in books because I curse, too.
But in this book's case, a lot of the cursing was incredibly misplaced and unnecessary.
...heavy as a fucking ton of cement on our shoulders...she'll meet some fuckwad...that thought makes me see fucking red...smash the fucking machine into fifty fucking pieces...how the fuck does fucking Louise think Whit is going to figure it out?...she's going to fucking crack...
All this in just 8 paragraphs, some appearing twice in a single sentence.
Shock value, perhaps?
There was such a heavy emphasis on the word that I wouldn't have been surprised if this book's agenda was to give us creative ways on how to use it in conversations, other than the clear psychotic relationship between Deo and Whit that was all about fucking and fighting.

It all became so distracting that I couldn't focus on the story, my eyes just waiting to point out the next F-bomb.
When you have over 20 F-bombs thrown around in a chapter, how can it not distract you from what is happening?
I lost interest in the book, skipping over to the last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lengths.