Lara's Reviews > Palace of Stone

Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale

Aug 22, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, young-adult, fantasy
Read from August 21 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I'm a little torn on how to rate this one, but maybe that's fitting, because I had the same trouble with Princess Academy the first time I read it as well.

I think part of my trouble with both books is that somehow the language feels a little too simplified at times--but then, these books also seem to be geared for a younger audience than the books I'm used to reading, so maybe that complaint isn't exactly fair. Still, it bothers me sometimes, and pulls me out of the story.

As for the plot, I enjoyed it for the most part, and I will admit that I even felt a little teary-eyed towards the very end, when everything is put right for the most part. But I felt like something was really lacking character-wise here--though many of the characters from Princess Academy reappear in Palace of Stone, most of them felt flat and lifeless to me, and present in name only, and I especially found myself wanting more from Peder and Katar. In the end, this felt like a much more mature story than Princess Academy, but stuck in a less mature package, kind of. I don't know.

However, like I said, I had some similar complaints about the first book after the first read, but found that after reading it for the second time (out loud to my husband, who really enjoyed it), I had a much greater appreciation for it. Maybe that will happen again with this one.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palace of Stone.

08/22/2012 page 161