Helen's Reviews > Skulduggery Pleasant

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

Feb 28, 15

bookshelves: funny, mystery-and-crime, horror, best-character-or-charachters, action-and-gore, adventure, fantasy, paranormal-and-myth, witches-wizards-and-magic, favourites
Recommended to Helen by: A good friend that I will always thank
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in January, 2009, read count: 9

description

“Doors are for people with no imagination.”

I will always remember when I first read this. It was back in 2009. I was over at a friend's house when her older sister, Emma, recommended it to me. "I just know you'll love it," she told me when she handed her copy over.

You have to understand that, at this point, I wasn't a big reader. Yeah I didn't mind reading, but I also didn't love it. I didn't sit down for hours on end with a book in my hand. I didn't value the power of words as much as I do now. The closest I had gotten to realizing the magic of books was with Harry Potter, which was over at this stage and, unfortunately for me, it was spoiled by my asshole of a sister. I didn't read about Fred's death or about Snape's redemption or how the Dark Lord was slain; instead I was told it. And I was pretty heartbroken by it. Sure I will always criticize for the first books to be a bit too cheerful for my taste, but I was (and still am) in love from Goblet of Fire and onwards when the books grew darker.

However despite my reluctance I took the book just to be nice. I don't know what made me crack open the book -- maybe my curiosity got the better of me, maybe the cool cover was what did it, maybe I asked myself "Well what's the worse that can happen?", or maybe my instincts told me to do it.

Whatever the motivation I'm so glad I read that first sentence. I can't express to you in words how thankful I am that Emma gave me this very book. Because this book -- this series -- is the one. Although you might find it unbelievable, this is the book that made me become the bookworm that I am. It's because of this book that I want to be a writer. This series, however surprising it may seem to you, was the series I could go to whenever I felt scared or sad.

I know people would think me silly that this series could mean something to anyone -- hell I'm not even sure Derek Landy understands himself. But it does to me. It means a lot. Because I can slip into this world and find comfort in the colourful and complex characters it contains. I can marvel at the magic, feel breathless at the action, laugh at all the delicious sarcasm, and feel sorrowful when things seem at their darkest. This series is my home.

Although a few days ago I read the last page of the very last book with teary eyes, I will read this series again and again and again and I will always love what Derek Landy has created. And when people ask me when I'll finally be sick of this series, I will reply with; "Until the end."

Thank you Derek for writing such an unforgettable series that has shaped me into becoming who I am today. I will forever be grateful to you.
31 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skulduggery Pleasant.

Quotes Helen Liked

Derek Landy
“Doors are for people with no imagination.”

Derek Landy
“A living skeleton isn't enough for you, is it? What does it take to impress young people these days?”
tags: youth

Derek Landy
“There’s something about you, Valkyrie. I’m not quite sure what it is. I look at you and…”

“And you’re reminded of yourself when you were my age?”

“Hmm? Oh, no, what I was going to say is there’s something about you that is really annoying, and you never do what you’re told, and sometimes I question your intelligence, but even so I’m going to train you, because I like having someone follow me around like a little puppy. It makes me feel good about myself.”

Derek Landy
“Well,” her mother said, looking at the engine, “at least that’s still there.”
"Do you know anything about engines?" Stephanie asked.
"That’s why I have a husband, so I don't have to. Engines and shelves, that’s why men were invented."
Stephanie made a mental note to learn about engines before she turned eighteen. She wasn't too fussed about the shelves.”

message 1: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Yeah its a shame this series isn't more well known, its easily as good as things like Percy Jackson. Yet no one has heard of it!

Helen I know!

Us Skul-Nerds need to show the world that this book exsists...

message 3: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela :D

Nick Lanciano Good review, i agree with all of your points :D

Washi I bought this book by pure luck
I went to the children and middle school section of the bookstore
I saw the cover and I was like "that look cool"
Now I'm in love with it
I liked the fact it didn't end with a cliff but it leave you with questions

I'jaaz (The Magician of Mirrex) I just noticed something that is eerily coincidental...

Chapter 26 of this book is called "The Last Stand of..." 2+ 6 = 8 The eighth book of the series is called the "Last Stand of Dead Men".

I am officially creeped out....

OwlMagic153 This happened with me...Harry Potter was over and I found the best replacement for it

Toni Your Review is so true. I needed to smile the whole time during reading it. And then Until the end. Everytime someone say this I'm smiling like a fool