Mallory Heart Reviews's Reviews > Savage

Blog Tour Stop Oct. 4

Review of Savage by Willow Rose
Reviewed for Full Moon Bites Blog Tour Oct. 4 2012
5 stars

“Savage” is a truly unusual story, interweaving more than one paranormal element and delivering a tapestry that intrigues, inspires, and delectates. Set against a background of well-delineated characters (even the seemingly shallow individuals dredge up depths), our protagonist undergoes a coming-of-age type of journey—really more of a “vision quest”—unlike any I can remember reading.

Danish medical student Christian travels to St. Augustine, Florida, to spend a year in the medical school at Jacksonville. He is to stay with the family of a wealthy surgeon, a man who is totally narcissistic, unaware of the personalities of his family or of their true dreams and desires. He tosses out expensive gifts, such as a Corvette and a windsurfer, to Chris, while simultaneously warning the young man away from his daughter, fickle college student Heather, who desire to get to know Chris sets off all the trouble in the first place.
While the good doctor warns Chris off Heather, his daughter is busy flirting and ordering the new guest to stay away from the neighbors, variously called gypsy-ish, witchy, and trashy-which is humourous as the neighborhood is upper-class, very wealthy, and the neighbours are aloof, quiet, and family-oriented.

Christian’s trauma begins on a nighttime visit to the swamp with Heather and her friends. While swimming, he is attacked by twin alligators, and mysteriously “saved” by a black jaguar. Of course, everybody but Christian wants the jaguar hunted and destroyed-but Christian understands intuitively that this is no ordinary animal, perhaps not an animal per se. As he diligently tries to prevent the jaguar’s death or capture, he begins to have precognitive visions, and to experience links to his new neighbors, the supposedly witchy all-female family line.

I reviewed an e-book copy provided to me by Full Moon Bites Blog Tours in return for my fair and impartial review.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savage.

10/01/2012