Blacky *Romance Addict*'s Reviews > Rough Canvas

Rough Canvas by Joey W. Hill

This is one of the best books I have read this year! The quality of the writing and the depth of emotion got me by surprise, I really didn't expect it to be this good. But WOW! Photobucket

If I had to describe this book with one word, it would be - EMOTION

It's there. All the time. In every sentence, in every scene. When they are together. When they are apart. Even with other characters. Just simply amazing.

I was hooked just with that first chapter. Thomas is dealing with his melancholy and memories of the one man he can't ever forget, and that man, Marcus, has just walked in his store offering a business deal. One week with Marcus doing a big order of paintings. After some reluctance, he accepts and their affair coininues for that week alone. I won't go more into the story, if any of you decide to read it, it should be new and amazing and unexpected :)

I'll just say - Marcus and Thomas had the most amazing chemistry, it was full of passion and love Photobucket , and so beautiful it shocked me because it doesn't happen very often that you can FEEL their love through the pages. In here, you can feel it all the freaking time! While reading the book, half of the time I wanted to cry (and I did a couple of times), the other half was fanning myself for all the hot sex scenes and clutching my stomach when it was too emotionally intense. There were some very sweet times, and I don't know why but I wanted to cry at those too Photobucket It's just that you know that they are going to go their own way once he finishes the paintings, so all the stuff they go through makes you sad.

Best scenes:
- when Thomas first sees Marcus in the store
- Marcus in the car after their first meeting Photobucket
- their picnic, oh that was beautiful Photobucket
- Thomas takes care of Marcus after the beating
- Thomas making the big painting that represents Marcus and him
- this one isn't my best, it was actually the most horrible scene in the book, but I have to put it here because it made me cry like a baby ( (view spoiler) ) Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
- Marcus losing it, and Thomas bringing him back after (view spoiler)
- although the ending was just a teeny weeny bit too sweet for my taste, it didn't do anything to rock my adoration for this book. Loved it all the same :)

So, I'll ve looking for some other works from this author, this book is written in such a beautiful way, I want to read more like it Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rough Canvas.

1.0% ":) This seems... interesting heheheh" 3 comments
08/23/2012
10.0% "This is so fucking intense!!!! I have to go to sleep but I can't put this down Photobucket I didn't expect it to grip me right from the start!"
08/23/2012
22.0% "I would never have thought that something from Ellora could be so emotionally intense. I want to cry and my stomack hurts and I have to go to sleep but want to read some more so I could want to cry some more, does that make sense??? Gaah! :(((((" 7 comments
08/24/2012
42.0% "They just came home from the bdsm club, my God I'll have to cool myself down before I can continue reading Photobucket" 6 comments
08/24/2012
71.0% "OMG! I want to kill his mother. Kill kill kill. Than bitch-slap her atleast a thousand times. Gaaah I actually cried when she did that awfull thing with his painting. Kill kill kill!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Blacky *Romance Addict* I haven't had time today, managed a few chapters and that was it. I'll be reading it tomorrow :) but I think I'm going to like this :D

Blacky *Romance Addict* (¯`·..·♥Anna♥·..·´¯) wrote: "I knew you will love it! Great review hon!"

Thnks Anna <3 It was so much better than I expected, it was kind of a shock lol but I absolutely LOVED it!

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user I agree, Hill is good at emotion and her writing's lovely.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Thanks Em <3 this was such a beautiful book

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wonderful review, Blacky! If you want to read another Joey W. Hill story that is full of intensity and emotions and features an unforgettable hero then read Ice Queen and Mirror of My Soul. Personally I loved Mirror of My Soul more than Ice Queen but you have to read both books. You will probably bawl your eyes out. Marguerite's heinous fate is pretty gut-wrenching and Tyler is such an incredible gentleman. He is one of my all-time favorite heroes. Give it a try.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Thanks Baba, I will read them both :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Blacky wrote: "Thanks Baba, I will read them both :)"

Look forward to your updates. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter (¯`·..·♥Anna♥·..·´¯) wrote: "Baba wrote: "Wonderful review, Blacky! If you want to read another Joey W. Hill story that is full of intensity and emotions and features an unforgettable hero then read Ice Queen and Mirror of My ..."

You're in for a treat, Anna.

Duchess Nicole Great review, Blacky! I'm not much into M/M, but I've seen a lot about how great this author is. Do you know if she has any lighter BDSM or just erotica? Nothing too scary?

Blacky *Romance Addict* I have no idea, this is the first book I've read by this author, but I'll be getting more, that's for sure, it was fantastically written :)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Baba recommended Ice Queen and Mirror of My Soul, I'll be trying those myself :)

Duchess Nicole I somehow bought Afterlife (Knights of the Board Room, #4) by Joey W. Hill not realizing it was the fourth of the series. I just don't know yet if I want to go ahead and get the first three. I need to find someone who reads her. Maybe I should stalk Baba. Thanks!

Blacky *Romance Addict* I sure will :)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Duchess Nicole wrote: "I somehow bought Afterlife (Evernight, #4) by Claudia Gray not realizing it was the fourth of the series. I just don't know yet if I want to go ahead and get the first three. I need to find someone who reads her. M..."

I think baba read all of them so yeah, she'd be perfect to ask :)

Duchess Nicole Blacky wrote: "Duchess Nicole wrote: "I somehow bought Afterlife (Evernight, #4) by Claudia Gray not realizing it was the fourth of the series. I just don't know yet if I want to go ahead and get the first three. I need to find so..."

She reviewed, said there is a scene that she calls rape. Not so sure about that! May have to find kink somewhere else.

Shelley I love your review for this incredible book. Well said a perfect reflection of how I felt about it too. All those little animated dudes are too cute. I want to steal them:)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Thanks Shelley :) This book is really something special <3 and you can go ahead and steal them lol, I have many more XD

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Duchess Nicole wrote: "Great review, Blacky! I'm not much into M/M, but I've seen a lot about how great this author is. Do you know if she has any lighter BDSM or just erotica? Nothing too scary?"

Nicole, give this one a try Branded Sanctuary. It's great and the BDSM elements are very, very light. Beautiful prose and one of my all-time favorite heroes makes an appearance: Tyler Winterman. GORGEOUS and a gentleman (as in gentle). Wow! I'm melting here. Again.

Oh, and then you should read Ice Queen and Mirror of My Soul. These books are dedicated to Marguerite and Tyler. Mirror is sooooo good.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter @anyone
If you want to read more Joey W. Hill books-besides Ice Queen, Mirror of My Soul and Branded Sanctuary--then I'd recommend you to read Natural Law. The hero, Mac Nighthorse, is so
DEE-lish!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Thanks Baba :D I'll add it :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Blacky wrote: "Thanks Baba :D I'll add it :)"

You're welcome, Blacky.

Duchess Nicole Baba wrote: "Duchess Nicole wrote: "Great review, Blacky! I'm not much into M/M, but I've seen a lot about how great this author is. Do you know if she has any lighter BDSM or just erotica? Nothing too scary..."

Thank you, Baba. I keep looking and looking, but something always turns me off...there's always something just a bit too much. I'll give it a try. You always have such great recs!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter @Nicole & Em
You're welcome, ladies.

@Nicole
Don't take this personal but I seriously doubt that you would enjoy Afterlife.

Duchess Nicole Baba wrote: "@Nicole & Em
You're welcome, ladies.

@Nicole
Don't take this personal but I seriously doubt that you would enjoy Afterlife."

I think you're right. I did a little more digging and saw your review and a few other friends'. Too much for me!

Susan God...that scene w/ Thomas' mother and the paint. I felt physically ill.

Blacky *Romance Addict* I wanted to kill her. GAh. horrible horrible woman!!

message 27: by Dd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dd I too was hooked from the beginning.Great review.:)

Glamdring Beautiful review, Blacky! :)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Thanks Glam :)

djdavis~*Sivad*Sex Pocket Okay I really want to read this especially after so many have given rave reviews!! I just don't know if I can bare to sit and read the first 5 in the series...ugh

Blacky *Romance Addict* djdavis~*Sivad* wrote: "Okay I really want to read this especially after so many have given rave reviews!! I just don't know if I can bare to sit and read the first 5 in the series...ugh"

This is the only book from this series I've read. Trust me, you won't miss a thing if you just jump on this one first ;) It's really, really a great book!

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise great review Blacky:)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Louise wrote: "great review Blacky:)"

Thanks Louise :)

message 35: by Joana (new)

Joana Great review Blacky :)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Joana wrote: "Great review Blacky :)"

Thanks Joana :)

KindleRomance Reviews Lovely review Blacky!

Ilhem As you said : <3 <3 <3 !!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Lovely review Blacky!"

Thanks Kris! (didn't get a notification for this, stupid GR!)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Ilhem wrote: "As you said : <3 <3 <3 !!"

<3 <3 <3

Ilhem Blacky wrote: "Ilhem wrote: "As you said :

<3 <3 <3

Btw my review looks awful without the smilies, but I'm working on replacing them :)))"

I understand that it bothers you but your words are all the same and it was a good review.:)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Thanks Ilhem :)))))

Lili I see this is book 6...Are these stand alones or should I read them in order?

Blacky *Romance Addict* you can read this one, no problem :)))) I read this first and it was all great :)

Lili Blacky wrote: "you can read this one, no problem :)))) I read this first and it was all great :)"

Awesome! Thanks Blacky :))

Blacky *Romance Addict* No problem! Enjoy!

Lili Blacky wrote: "No problem! Enjoy!"

Thanks Blacky! It's got great feedback. I'll definitely bump it up my TBR!

message 48: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars