Ashley Stoyanoff's Reviews > Y

Y by Marjorie Celona

Sep 11, 12

Read from August 22 to September 07, 2012

This was a hard book to review. I really wanted to like it. The writing it's self was great: the descriptions wonderful, the characters well developed, the storyline (although heart wrenching) was compelling.

Celona brings us a story of life. Shannon is a horribly screwed-up child. Abandoned at birth, bounced around from one home to the next. Throughout this book, we get to see how this kind of life can affect a person. We watch Shannon struggle with her identity and at times, her own sanity, as she tries to find her place in life and reveals the reasons for her abandonment.

The problem that I had with this story, and the reason for the loss of stars, was how emotionally draining it was. Many times I found that after only reading a few pages, I was putting it aside, picking up another book or doing something, anything to rid myself of the feeling of emptiness this book planted in me. It's almost unbelievable how the adults in this story do not seem to understand or even acknowledge how they treat Shannon and what effect this has on her.

Y by Marjorie Celona was not my cup of tea, but it may be yours so give it try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

08/23/2012 page 14
08/24/2012 page 35
12.0% "So far, I'm having a hard time getting into it. Hope it gets more interesting soon."
show 2 hidden updates…