Nicki's Reviews > Disability and the Gospel: How God Uses Our Brokenness to Display His Grace

Disability and the Gospel by Michael S. Beates

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: american, audiobook, christianaudio, bible-study, for-review, read-in-2012, disabilities
Read from August 23 to September 03, 2012, read count: 1

I knew this audiobook would be challenging to listen to, but I was surprised how encouraging it was. It wasn't a book that made me feel guilty for being able bodied, but enabled me to understand how disabled people have been marginalized by the church though the centuries. One thing that did make me feel uncomfortable was the use of the word retarded throughout. Considering the author has a severely disabled daughter I am very surprised this phrase was used, as I know this is an insult amongst disabled people and their families.
Although this audio is primarily aimed at the American church there are lessons here that can be learned and applied worldwide. The author writes about his own experiences with his daughter and this audio is therefore well researched and compiled with many quotes from a diverse selection of people. There is lovely foreword by Joni and many quotes from her throughout. Arthur Morey's narration is perfect, as his gentle voice is comforting and strong all the way through. I really do recommend this audio to all listeners whether disabled all not, as there is lots to learn and think about for a long time after listening. Thanks to www.christianaudio.com Reviewer's Program for this copy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disability and the Gospel.

08/24/2012 "I think this will be uncomfortable to listen to. At the moment its going over Old Testament passages and using them for disabled people today but i thought we were in the age of grace and OT doesn't matter anymore."
08/25/2012 "I'm on chapter 3 and really enjoying it, heard lots of new things in regard to the Gospels."
08/28/2012 "I'm really enjoying this."