Arthistorychick's Reviews > Frat Boy and Toppy

Frat Boy and Toppy by Anne Tenino
Source: Netgalley
3/5 stars

NOTE: 18 and over only

I am not ashamed to say that from time to time I like to take a little skinny dip in the old erotica pool. I suited up over the weekend and dove right in to Anne Tenino’s Frat Boy and Toppy only to come out of the pool feeling quite unsatisfied. I’m done with and over the swimming metaphor now . . . .

What I liked:

*Brad: the lead character who is a frat boy jock who has finally admitted to himself he is not only gay but completely smitten with his history T.A., Sebastian. Brad’s confusion and vulnerability are endearing and his reactions to certain situations are just funny. For example, when he comes out to his family . . . I laughed. Brad as a character is hard to dislike and I wouldn’t have minded at all knowing more about him.

*Sebastian: the openly gay history T.A. who is disturbingly smitten with Brad. I like Sebastian’s confidence in who he is; he is a hot braniac who makes no apologies for who he is and how he lives his life. His confidence and swagger are only shaken when he figures out Brad may be more than a mere booty call.

*The sex: Although I can’t say I am any expert by any means on gay sex I am fairly open minded and thought Brad and Sebastian did a fine (if somewhat messy) job of steaming up the pages. Once Brad acknowledges being gay and makes Sebastian aware of his interest there is just no stopping those two! I won’t lie; I might have learned a thing or two 

What I didn’t like:

*The plot: There aren’t any glaring holes in the plot or crazy inconsistences but that is likely because there isn’t much of a plot to speak of. Yes, there is the whole Brad coming out to everyone and dealing with his new relationship highs and lows with Sebastian but these elements aren’t really dealt with until near the end of the novel. Quite frankly, it’s just a case of too little too late.

*The sex: What??? How can this be both a like and a dislike you ask? Quite simply, you can indeed have far too much of a good thing. There is an incredible amount of sex in this book to the point of it bordering on way too much; the amount of naughty verses the amount of plot just don’t balance one another.

Bottom line: I like the characters just fine but would have liked to have seen their story go a bit further; Sebastian and Brad are both nice guys that must have something more to them then just hot bodies. The sex is great but it does become a bit tired after so many scenes. (I can NOT believe I just said that, BTW) I have read enough erotica to know that you can have all the fantastic naughty bits and a strong plot and I truly wish that had happened with this book. If you are looking for an easy, naughty read then this is the book for you BUT, if you need more substance in your erotica I would have to recommend steering clear of this read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frat Boy and Toppy.