Christa's Reviews > Losing You

Losing You by Nicci French

Dec 14, 2008

bookshelves: library
Read in December, 2008

This book was made very different by not having chapters. It caused it to be very difficult to put the book down since there were no breaks in the action. I found the book to be engrossing, and very quick to read. The story was very suspenseful and had lots of action. This was the first book I have read by Nicci French, and I enjoyed this one enough to read more by the author.

Nina Landry is thrilled to be going on a Christmas vacation with her two children and her boyfriend. Nina and her children plan to leave their home on Sandling Island and pick up her boyfriend, Christian, enroute to the airport in London. They are traveling to Florida, where they will spend Christmas together. As the day of their departure begins, Nina's plans are first altered as her car needs mechanical adjsutments that a friend attempts to provide, and then she arrives back home to find that her daughter, Charlie, has invited a large number of people for Nina's surprise birthday party. Nina begins to find it strange that her fifteen year old daughter doesn't show up for the party she planned, and then she becomes worried when no one seems to know where to find Charlie. Nina begins to question those she knows Charlie saw earlier in the day about her possible whereabouts. Nina quickly realizes that Charlie is truly missing, and she goes to the police who do not take this couple hour disappearance by a teenager seriously. Nina finds items missing from Charlie's room that point to the idea that she has run away. Nina is devastated and determined to find Charlie quickly. As she checks Charlie's paper route, she is terrified when she finds Charlie's bicycle hidden in the woods. She knows that Charlie has been abducted, and she conducts the police again. The police begin to move very slowly, not yet searching for the teen, and Nina continues to conduct her own search, during which she questions several individuals. The police are frustrated with her and try to stop her, but Nina is certain that time is of the essence. This frantic mother knows that she is her daughter's only hope and she will do anything to find and save her.

I thought that the absence of chapters and Nina's frantic search made the book seem exceptionally fast paced. I literally could not put the book down, and felt like I was racing to finish it while Nina raced to find her daugther. I read it in one sitting in just a couple of hours. The book focused more on the plot than the characters. I am interested to read more by the author and find out if they are all as suspenseful as this one.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing You.

message 1: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Sounds real good!

Christa It was a good, very suspenseful book Auntee, but there was absolutely no romance. The main character had a boyfriend, but he was stuck in London traffic during most of the book, which takes place in a day, so there was little about him.

message 3: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Hmmmn...no romance, huh? I have one of her books on the TBR pile--it's called "Secret Smile". I'll have to see if it's written in a similar style.

Christa I don't know if all of of the author's books are straight suspense or not. I prefer some romance, but this was such a quick, engrossing read that I really didn't have time to feel that it was lacking much. I did hope a couple of times that the boyfriend would at least show up and lend some support, but it didn't happen. I understand that the Nicci French books are actually written by a husband and wife team. I'll be interested to see if Secret Smile is much like this one. It was rather odd to read an almost 300 page book with no chapter divisions. It added to the mood that was created by a mother's frantic search for her child.

message 5: by Auntee (new)

Auntee I didn't know that it was written by a husband/wife team--that's interesting.:)

message 6: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim I've read a few of the French books and all of them are very fast paced and pyschologically intense. I had read a few before I found out the author was actually a duo. Kind of neat. I recommend 'Catch Me When I Fall". I read it in a matter of hours. I agree their is little romance in the books, they are mostly suspense. But they do have sex (some).