Melindeeloo's Reviews > Riveted

Riveted by Meljean Brook

Aug 21, 2012

Read from August 21 to 23, 2012

4.5 stars - Riveted was probably the sweetest of Brook's romances so far. I loved both Vulcanologist David, who has always looked for joy in life despite some major adversity, and airship engineer Annika, who sees herself as the rabbit her family and friends have called her - but who, when push comes to shove, is brave enough to do what must be done. There is an innocence to Annika, and to David as well, that is quite appealing and while neither of the pair fit well into the 'civilized' world, they both fit well together - even when it looks like their individual quests will keep them apart.

My nits are that while I loved that Brook takes her time building the relationship between David and Annika, the story does drag just a tad as the two initially get to know each other, but once the story gets rolling and David and Annika decide to take a chance on each other, the way that Brook develops the relationship is really really good. Another minor nit is that there is an exceedingly creepy bad guy whose exit from the story is really odd and anticlimactic. And finally, not exactly a nit but a warning, the real reason that Annika must keep her hometown a secret and the attitudes held by some of the characters in reaction to that reason are going to be a touchy subject for some readers.

So the bottom line on Brook's latest Iron Seas steam punk romance is that I really loved seeing another corner of the Iron Seas world. Brook's world building - with trolls, leviathans, and airships galore - is truly amazing and fortunately the people who 'live' there are every bit as fascinating. I loved Annika and David, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that since Mina/Rhys and Archimedes/Yasmin have both gotten after the HEA shorts, we will get to see just a little bit more of Annika and David sometime in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riveted.

Quotes Melindeeloo Liked

Meljean Brook
“When you're surrounded by stupidity, self-preservation isn't a sin.”
Meljean Brook, Riveted

08/21/2012 page 2
0.0% "I am such a Brook fan girl, I dropped everything else once this make it into my hot little hands..."
08/22/2012 page 190
46.0% "After a slow start, I am hooked. I love both of the leads - and getting to see what makes them tick - and I am lamenting that it's time to put this down and go to bed. (Yes, I am actually stopping to go to sleep, which is something fairly new for me, I finally realized that I enjoy the rest of a book so much more this way that pushing through 'til I have to prop my eyes open with toothpicks:)"
08/23/2012 page 246
59.0% "I am really loving this pairing, and seeing another corner of the Iron Seas world - Brooks' world building is truly amazing and fortunately the people who 'live' there are every bit as fascinating."
08/23/2012 page 331
80.0% "It's giving me the creeps at times, but Brook has created a character that is truly evil, a sociopath but one who will do anything to keep his father happy - it is rare to see a villain done so well, normally authors just bludgeon you with how bad they are..."

Michelle Cummings Jealous!!!!!

Melindeeloo looks like there is a soft release date on this one so it may turn up early in the bookstores...

Melindeeloo I am rereading this, Brook's books are among the few that I am inspired to reread at all much less reread right away.

Michelle Cummings I have already pre-ordered it for my kindle, so I can keep my fingers crossed. I've read the Iron Duke twice, and while I enjoyed Heart of Steel, I didn't like it quite as much as the Iron Duke. And I actually felt sorry for Meljean in my review of Heart of Steel, because I was harder on her than I would be a normal author, because the first one wowwed me so much!

Melindeeloo Iron Duke was just so different that it is hard to top.

Michelle Cummings Melindeeloo wrote: "Iron Duke was just so different that it is hard to top.

Did you get to read the epilog short, Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City? It was nice to sse more Mina, Rhys and a touch of Scarsdale."

I did and loved getting a glimpse of their HEA. I am not usually a fan of M/M, but would really love to see Scarsdale get his true HEA!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) Loved the trolls and the whale and the Icelandic locale. Great review, Mel.

Melindeeloo :) Thanks, you on to the Kraken king now?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) Not quite yet. Probably next week.