Alyssa hoffmaster's Reviews > Temptation

Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins

Aug 21, 12

Read on August 21, 2012

Come check out my review on my blog

Review:
Awhile back I had read a book about forbidden Amish love that was similar to the description of this book and loved it, once I saw it on the shelves I knew that I had to get it and try it out.
Temptation is one those books that you’ll either love or hate. I completely adored this book. It was a full 5 stars for me but there were some things I didn’t particularly like.

I’ll start with the things that I loved about this book:
I love when books change their point of views between characters, I actually prefer this way because you can read about the other persons emotions instead of just sticking to one person, so being able to read both Rose’s and Noah’s side of the story was a good move on the authors part.

The description and emotion in all of the characters was great! I could picture all of them easily and their emotions were true.

None of the characters lacked personality, each one was different and creative and I especially loved the relationships between Rose and her brothers, I personally don’t have any older siblings, but as an oldest sibling I understand the responsibility in having to look out for my younger siblings and even though Rose and Sam fought and picked on each other a lot. I loved how overprotective Sam was over Rose and I wish I had an older brother that would look out for me like that.
I did have a few problems with the book,

I felt like their love was to instant. All they did was stare at each other for the first time and they were practically married. I don’t really believe in love at first sight so the beginning of their relationship was unrealistic to me.

After they met the rest of the book was just them talking about their love for each other and their parents disapproval, the book didn’t really have much of a plot until the end where more of the action was.
The only other critical thought about the book was even though Rose was only 16; her character almost seemed too childish. It just seemed like there was a huge immaturity level between Noah and Rose, even though Noah’s Amish life style makes him more mature than that of an 18 year old “English” boy.

But even after my critical thoughts I do recommend this book to anyone who’s looking for a different kind of read than their used to. It’s a tragic romance that’s doomed to fail, right?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temptation.

Quotes Alyssa Liked

Karen Ann Hopkins
“Pressing my head to his heart, I listened hard, straining to hear any gurgle or murmur of life. Hearing nothing, I felt the shock settle into my mind, slowing it down and then turning it off.
"Don't leave me, Noah. Please, don't go," I whispered into the darkness as the light spray of rain touched my face.
If only I could turn back time.
I would tell him yes.”
Karen Ann Hopkins, Temptation

Karen Ann Hopkins
“It was strange how in that moment of tragedy, it had seemed so unreal, like an old-fashioned movie reel playing on a screen for my eyes only. The pain and broken heart were blocked off for a little while, leaving me numb with disbelief. Shock is what Dad called it. But after a while, the cruel reality started to seep into my tissues, and my body became a sponge, just sucking it all up until, finally, there was so much grief inside, I couldn't help feeling it.
That's how it happened for me. First, the numbness right after she died, next the agonising pain and then the place I was at now—the land of perpetual depression.”
Karen Ann Hopkins, Temptation

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Krissy P (Kris) Hi Alyssa:
What book did you read that was similar to this one? I really enjoyed this story and am looking for another one like it. Thanks.

Alyssa hoffmaster It's called "The Angels Trilogy" by Lurlene Mcdaniel. It has all three books in one.

Here's a link to go check it out: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

Krissy P (Kris) Thank you

Alyssa hoffmaster your welcome :)