Julie's Reviews > The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008

The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008 by Paul Krugman

Feb 26, 09

bookshelves: social-political-commentary, best-of-2009, read-2009
Read in February, 2009

My hope is that a) this book is on the nightstand, desk, bathroom book caddy, and coffee table of every economic policy wonk this side of the Potomac (and the other side, too!) & that b) these wonks read it. Krugman, who wrote this book in 1999 and updated it during the 4th quarter of 2008, clearly and succinctly presents the multiple case studies, warning signs and missteps that led to our current economic crisis. From Mexico and Argentina fiscal failures in the 1980s and early 90s to the Japanese recession and the Asian Tiger meltdown of the 90s to the tech stock and housing bubbles bursting in our own country, Krugman offers concrete insights as to the why and well-reasoned solutions that we could have and still can use to pull ourselves out of the quagmire.

Any fan of Krugman's and anyone new to his philosophies will appreciate his lucid, layman, refreshing writing style. He does not present his facts and opinions with the doom and gloom of a partisan propagandist. He speads the blame and the praise equally and there is always a gentle sense of humor and a respect for the intelligence of his readers. Big hand clap for this Nobel-winning economist. I feel better knowing such calm and wise minds continue to speak loudly in defense of common sense and compassionate economics.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie Jeanette- this would be just fine on audio. There are only a couple of charts in the book so you would miss very little. I'll plug in an official review, but suffice for the moment to say this was most excellent!