Candace's Reviews > The Dark Unwinding

The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron

Aug 21, 2012

Read from August 21 to 22, 2012

n less than 24 hours after receiving this book in the mail I had finished it. It was one I was so excited to read that I immediately picked it up and once I started reading I couldn't seem to stop! What I thought was interesting is that I didn't know what the book was about. I didn't read the description or anything. I know I knew it was historical fiction and that it had steampunk elements, but that's it. So much of my expectations were riding on the cover alone.

I absolutely loved the book but I think many will go in with some expectations and will find themselves disappointed. First of all, this is not really a steampunk story. Yes, her uncle is a great inventor, but all this really pertains to is a workhouse full of things that we don't really see much of and some winding of clocks. There are no steamships or anything of that nature. Some inventions play a bit of a stronger role, but really it did not feel steampunk. Since I'm a big fan of historical fiction with, or without, steampunk elements, I still loved the story.

One thing that really stood out for me was the characters. Katharine has a very strong personality and really stands out on her own. She's no coward, she stands up for what she thinks and has no problems telling people. At first I wasn't sure if I would like this about her, but she quickly grew on me. I loved her, but I also felt that it was a little strange that she had such a bold personality because of her past of living with an overbearing aunt. I wouldn't say this is really a complaint, it just struck me as a little odd.

Uncle Tully is awesome! I don't know how much I should say because I don't want to give anything away. But this brilliant inventor is most definitely different and not only because of his brilliant mind. Additionally the other more important side characters all stood out very much. They had strong personality's and were quite well developed.

While I liked the romance in the book it didn't blow me away. It could have quite easily, but for some reason it just didn't quite reach that point. I felt like it was very much on the back burner until the very end and so I didn't have enough of those 'moments' with them, to really get a feel for their emotions toward each other. I knew it was there, I just wanted a bit more.

This book is definitely full of twists and turns. You never really know what is going on that is making things so strange for Katharine. She has crazy dreams where she even harms herself. Things are moved around in the room. There are strange noises. Being as it's an old house it's easy to think it's a haunting, but at the same time most everything could be explained away with other things. To find out you'll have to read the book. I have to say that I found it to be very suspenseful toward the end as things finally started to come together.

Sharon Cameron is a brilliant writer. Her use of words have a beautiful quality to them and the second I started reading I knew that I would devour the book quickly, even if it was just for the writing. Each scene was beautifully described without being flowery or overdone.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. If you're afraid to read it because of the steampunk, please do not let that stop you!

You can find this review and others like it on my blog at http://www.candacesbookblog.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Unwinding.