Andi's Reviews > The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality

The Universe in a Single Atom by Dalai Lama XIV

Sep 21, 14

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-own, religion, science, philosophy, non-fiction
Read in August, 2012

I am so glad that I stumbled across this book on the library's digital website. It is a fantastic read. It's thoughtful and thought-provoking. It's one of those books that I wish would be required reading for all, though how that meshes with my belief that very little of anything should be "required for all," I'm not sure.

While I am not a Buddhist, I find many of the things he says about Buddhism and the ways that it compliments science compelling. I don't subscribe to the tradition or the myths of Buddhism, but it is very hard to find fault in something so completely involved in the endeavor to relieve suffering, at least on a macro level.

I certainly agree that science and scientists could benefit from a healthy dose of perspective and really question some of their assumptions about the bigger picture and exactly what science is capable of telling us. I also agree, and appreciate the frankness of including it, that Buddhism (and pretty much all religion) would benefit from applying/updating archaic paradigms. Perhaps, somewhere in all of the perspective-shifting and paradigm-updating, some new truths may just be revealed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Universe in a Single Atom.