Samantha's Reviews > American Psycho

May 18, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: library, 2016_challenge, classics, horror
Read from April 05 to May 18, 2016

My God, what a book. I'm still debating about how to rate this book because it was all over the place for me. (I decided on 3.5 stars)

Why I want to rate it a 5:
- The scenes where he mutilates/kills/tortures/etc. are frickin horrific. One of my fave genres is horror and I don't think I've ever read a book THAT descriptive that literally had my whole body cringing every time.
- I truly felt that I was in Bateman's thoughts and could see the combination of just wanting to be normal and purely loving his evil as well. He'll be talking about normal life stuff and all of the sudden sneak in that he i contemplating sending the heart of the girl he tortured and killed the previous night to her mother's house as if it was the same as deciding between two magazines. It's insane.

Why I want to rate it a 3:
- There is a lot of repetition in this book. Bateman has a pattern. He tells you what he's wearing, what other people are wearing, and what is on the Patty Winters Show. Every, single chapter. Without fail. On one hand, it shows you a part of him on how obsessive he is on fitting in with society and how much attention he puts on physical looks. On the other hand, it's boring to read, especially as time passes and the general reader doesn't know many of the brands/names.
- As a tag-a-long with the end of the first comment, there are a LOT of brand/name drops in this book which are supposed to impress you. In this day and age, it's hard to know if Bateman actually knows what he's talking about or if he's talking crap and people are just going along with it. I lean on the side that he knows what he's talking about, but it's strange.
- The ending. Can we talk about the ending? As I was getting to the last quarter of the book, things were getting really tense. Bateman was almost caught a few times and I seriously thought shit was going down. But no. He gets away. And the end of the book doesn't feel like any conclusion at all. I guess we, as the reader, are supposed to be left with this feeling that this psychotic person who is hallucinating and really has no identity at all (besides his love of evil) is still out there. But I don't feel scared that he's out there. I just feel lost. It was a weird ending.

So, where does this put me at? Some people may say to rate it a 4, but I'm not quite sure if the 5 star reasons weigh the same amount as the 3 star reasons.... I think I'm going to have to go with 3.5 stars. Would I read it again? Probably not. Do I wish I never read it? No, I'm glad that I read it. There is a level of horror writing out there that I was completely unaware of until this book. Definitely NOT for the faint at heart. Not everyone could read this book because the violent scenes are extremely graphic. And this is coming from someone who LIKES to read horror stories. Take it as you will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Psycho.

04/05 marked as: to-read
04/05 marked as: currently-reading
05/18 page 360
90.0% "Gah! Almost done with this. Definitely not for the faint of heart"
05/18 marked as: read