rubywednesday's Reviews > The Song of Achilles

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: historical, favourite, romance
Read from August 21 to 23, 2012

More like four and a half stars, really.

Before I started this book I was a little worried that I wouldn't get it. I'm only vaguely familiar with Greek mythology and studied the Iliad only briefly so I thought maybe a lot of the finer points would go right over my head.

Fortunately, that wasn't the case and it was very easy to read and understand.

Above all this is a romantic book. Every word Patroclus narrates is filled with his love for Achilles and I'd wager some might find it sickly sweet. I was perfectly happy with it, and, for anyone wondering, the sex was very tame.

I really appreciated how the author traced their journey from being childhood friends to unsure adolescents to a stable relationship. Every aspect of the evolution was well done.

It was easy to feel for both characters and see how the came to care for each other.

The plot clipped along nicely and because of my lack of knowledge about the original text, I was often on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it would unfold. The angst and tension poured off almost every page and for once, I enjoyed it.

The style is a in some places very flowery and others very matter of fact. It made sense in context, I feel, but I get how it might be annoying. It's not the kind of book everyone will like, but I certainly enjoyed it and I definitely like that I know more about the world it was based on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of Achilles.