Nick's Reviews > Captain Vorpatril's Alliance

M 50x66
Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in August, 2012

One of the things which keeps the Vorkosigan saga fresh is Bujold's ability to wander off into unexpected genres. This novel, while remaining a science fiction story, also manages to be a caper story that would have done Hitchcock proud, mixed with a high society romance story.
The folks of Jackson's Whole are often portrayed as the bad guys in this series, but in this case we get to see the more human side of people who use "human" rather loosely. They have refined both genetic manipulation and the art of the deal to an amazing degree and we get to see both in this story.
There is even a moment of architectural slapstick comedy, which I had never even realized was a possibility.
The basic premise is that Ivan Vorpatril, a side character in some of the earlier stories, is the central character in this one. Aide to an admiral, and not viewed as a heroic man of action, he finds himself thrust into espionage and truly odd romantic entanglements, all in the name of duty, of course. Anyone who enjoyed Bujold's "A Civil Campaign" would probably enjoy this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Vorpatril's Alliance.