Rachel P's Reviews > Ten Dollar Dinners: 140 Recipes and Tips for Delicious, Budget-Friendly Meals the Whole Family Can Enjoy

Ten Dollar Dinners by Melissa d'Arabian

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from September 06 to 07, 2012

I won a free copy of Melissa d’Arabian’s “Ten Dollar Dinners” as a first-reads giveaway.

I’m glad I won this giveaway as this cookbook is filled with a lot of good recipes, ideas, and advice. I really like the variety of foods presented and the budget-friendly tips. I already made the “Sweet Zucchini Saute” and it came out fantastic! (Although I used 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead of 3 and 2 was plenty, 3 would’ve been way too much.) And I plan on making “Crispy Chicken a l’Orange” next week.

That said I was a little disappointed with the lack of vegetarian recipes. At least half were sides and one of them was a “recipe” for broccoli and parmesan cheese. Seriously? Also, the layout of some of pages was confusing where the list of ingredients and directions would unexpectedly continue on the next page. And I’m not sure that all of these meals can be accomplished for $10 or less. I thought the whole dinner was supposed to be $10 but most of the recipes are not complete meals (i.e. a chicken dish or a salad, etc.). Maybe most of them fit the budget but some of the main dishes with really long lists of ingredients I’m not sure how it can be done. Perhaps the author measures the cost of the recipe by the amount of ingredients used i.e. ½ cup of dry white wine only costs a certain percentage of the bottle which can cost over $10 by itself.

Overall, this is a very comprehensive and easy to read cookbook. There’s a good mix of foods and types of meals and there are definitely a few recipes I want try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Dollar Dinners.