July Garza's Reviews > Ball Don't Lie

Ball Don't Lie by Matt de la Pena

F_50x66
May 19, 13

Ball Don’t Lie is a great book about the life of a troubled teenage boy. The book starts off in Lincoln Rec – a recreation center that also serves as a homeless shelter. The book slowly unfolds and tells the story of Sticky’s late teens. The story isn't told in chronological order but this is what makes it so interesting, sort of like a puzzle, the more you read the more everything starts to makes sense and flow together as if your finding pieces.

Reading the first chapter you could say that Sticky is a boy who loves to play basketball. As you read on you discover his living conditions, how Sticky is in and out of foster homes, and you begin to realize what makes him the young man with such qualities as his. Throughout the book Sticky is not only exposed to drugs, sex and violence, but gets to experience it his self. On top of everything Sticky has O.C.D. it effects him on a daily bases, and everyone notices it. Through out all these hardships he goes through in his life he still manages to be one of the best ballers around, and this is impressive considering Sticky is the only white boy that plays at Lincoln Rec. Sticky “shows up cause the game's his life and the guys are like family." Through out the book Sticky repetitively shows his dedication to the sport. Its not until you reach the last page that the whole story comes together. The author includes flash backs to help you really get a taste of what Sticky went through.

I like that this book has a lot of dialogue; it makes it easier to understand the story as a whole. I also love the dialect used through out the book between the characters, it shows a little bit of each characters personality and how they interact with each other. The author Matt de la Peña is also such a descriptive writer when it comes to describing what’s happening on the court. For some one that plays basketball like myself I really enjoyed reading each play and what was going on. His use of figurative language was remarkable. The author also includes Sticky’s thoughts in the text and I feel that this just brings the book together. Overall this was an incredible book that I would recommend to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ball Don't Lie.