Emily's Reviews > American Born Chinese

May 04, 09

bookshelves: kent-ya-class, graphic-novel
Read in January, 2009

(Graphic Novel)

The story revolves around three characters: Jin Weng, the Monkey King, and Danny. Each character has their own burden to bear and wishes they could change for what they see as the better. Along the seemingly mundane journey, each character learns about loyalty and how to stay true to themselves. I did not anticipate the ending, but it was nicely handled and demonstrates that where one journey ends, another is just beginning.

I really enjoyed American Born Chinese and I would recommend it to everyone. It deals with something most teens can relate to- wanting to change something about yourself so you can fit in, or wanting something so much you will do anything to get it. Teens can relate to the struggles and the consequences each character must face. In the end, teens learn that it is better to be yourself because that is the best way to be. In addition, the artwork is eye-catching and goes a long way toward telling the story.

I think I can promote the book in conjunction with other stories of finding yourself. Perhaps displaying a few scenes from the book would gather attention and entice teens to pick it up. When promoting it in a school, I would definitely show the artwork as that is part of what makes this book such a good read. I would encourage reluctant readers to give it a shot because it can be read quite quickly.

5Q, 4P, M/J/S, G

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Born Chinese.