John Martindale's Reviews > Situations Matter: Understanding How Context Transforms Your World

Situations Matter by Sam Sommers

Aug 21, 2012

bookshelves: psychology, audiobook
Read in August, 2012

This was a very entertaining book. A good deal of the studies he shared, fill several other recent books I've read, but because of his good sense of humor, I didn't mind hearing it all again and indeed what he shared that was original, was well worth the book. After finishing Pinker's "The blank slate: the modern denial of human natural" which puts emphases on the genetic and evolutionary aspect of why we do what we do, this book was good counter weight to balance things out. Showing that things we thought were genetic and hardwired by evolution, may more be more context dependent then we once thought. Sam Sommers was refreshing in that he didn't have to present a speculative evolutionary explanation to everything he shared like most authors. In fact he showed one of the evolutionary 'just so' stories, may be wrong.

Though I planned on giving this book 4 stars, reflecting on how context matters, I am giving it 5 stars. For it is only because I first read other books that stole his thunder that I felt inclined to give him a lower rating. If his was the first book I read on this subject, not only would it be five stars, but it would be in my favorite folder. So yeah, it is interesting how the seeming greatness of a book is contingent upon what other books we've recently read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Situations Matter.