Tara's Reviews > Tune in Tokyo: The Gaijin Diaries

liked it
bookshelves: kindle
Read from September 03 to 09, 2012

Review:

It’s not often I read non-fiction, and when I do it’s mainly on the subject of Japan. Previously, it’s generally been histories, but when this one went onto the Kindle daily deal, I couldn’t resist it – even if it took months for me to finally get to reading it! I have to admit, the main appeal for me is the fact I’d love to do something like this myself one day, having already learned a lot of Japanese whilst in school, and really wanting to travel whilst I can!

This book did make me laugh out loud – I liked the way that Tim Anderson manages to capture the differences between the Japanese way of life and that of the Western world. He manages to introduce things – like the social gaffes made by foreigners in a funny, but very realistic, way! I also love the way he talks so passionately about his time in Japan, and how frank and honest he is about things, even those he wasn’t so keen on!

The only thing about this book I would give as a warning is that there are a lot of references to drug and alcohol use, so if you aren’t comfortable with either or both of those things, this won’t be the book for you. There’s also a lot of reference to the fact that the author is gay, and the fact is mentioned throughout. This didn’t bother me personally, but there are a lot of comments on Goodreads about that fact – and that some people felt it was overstated.

Overall, I loved the subject matter of the book, and found Tim Anderson to be an enjoyable narrator, even though some of the humour didn’t quite do it for me. A very nice memoir of a few months in modern Japan, and a nice reference for anyone considering doing the same thing!

Overall rating: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Originality: n/a
Characters: n/a
My Enjoyment: 3/5

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tune in Tokyo.