Ali (alireadsbooks)'s Reviews > Beneath the Glitter

Aug 27, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2012, ya, advance-readers-copy
Read from August 22 to 26, 2012

I won an advance reader's copy of this book and therefore had the chance to read it before it came out.

To be honest, I really didn't expect much from this book. I was glad that I won a copy of it, because I was curious but didn't want to buy it. This is my first time reading an advance reader's copy, so I'm not sure how much changes between it and the final published copy, but one of the first things I noticed was the Blair's name is spelled "Blaire" on the top of every page. I also noticed a lot of grammatical errors, but I have a feeling that might just be the writing and not a mistake.

As for the actual novel, I was really disappointed with the character development. I've watched enough of Elle and Blair's YouTube videos to know that Sophia and Ava London ARE Elle and Blair Fowler. I know they have said multiple times that the characters are only based on them, but there were details (one blonde and one brunette sister, the blonde sister being in a sorority and having a partially deaf cat) that are taken directly from their lives. Therefore, I couldn't help but read it with their faces in mind for the character, which kind of took away from the imaginative aspect of reading the book.

I was also disappointed with the storyline, because there were major gaps that I couldn't help but notice. The whole relationship between Ava and Liam, for one, seemed like it was only thrown in there because it wouldn't have been a story about Hollywood without a main character dating a celebrity. Liam was an incredibly dry character. It was obvious that the authors didn't know if he should be a good guy who isn't right for Ava or a bad guy disguised as a good guy. Their relationship seemed forced and childish, and Liam seemed to disappear toward the end of the novel for the sake of a better storyline.

Lastly, the story sets itself up for a sequel, but not in an interesting, cliff-hanging way. Frankly, I was left feeling confused and frustrated. Even if they plan on writing a sequel, there were plot points that needed to be cleared up before the end of this book. I didn't like or relate to the characters and I wasn't overly interested in the plot, so I'm not sure I would read a sequel if they were to write one.

This book is acceptable if you want a light, fluffy beach read, but even with that in mind I wasn't impressed.
22 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath the Glitter.

08/23/2012 page 78
show 1 hidden update…

Marie I'm almost done with this but OMG it's such a struggle. What's up with the paragraphs in all caps? And I think the only character I look forward to seeing is Gio. I've watched enough of their vids to know that they ARE the characters too. Really ruins the experience of the book :\

message 2: by Ali (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ali (alireadsbooks) Oh my gosh, I HATE when authors use all caps in books. It should be italicized, not in caps.
And yes, exactly. It ruins the creative aspect of writing a book if you just copy and paste real-life people into it. And the fact that they won't admit it is frustrating.
But I agree, Gio is a cute character. Although I'm a little confused about all the guys in the book...I'm not sure who I'm supposed to like and who I'm not.

Glad I'm not alone in this!!