Danny's Reviews > We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

Aug 21, 12

liked it
bookshelves: shorts
Read on August 21, 2012

Having not seen (either version of) Total Recall - yet - this was an interesting look into what is obviously a Hollywood source of ideas.

Unfortunately, it isn't much more than that. Phillip K. Dick runs this story with a breathtaking pace, which ultimately doesn't leave anything but the idea itself.

Of course, it is a both fascinating and interesting idea in terms of potential. A clerk lives a boring life, but has this desire to go to Mars and constantly daydreams about it. He visits a company that provides fake memories, but he isn't exactly like other paying customers..

I find the concept interesting and the ending amusing, but it doesn't really provide much more than that. The story does not at any point linger at an interesting plot point, and instead we're rushed through to the final conclusion, which despite its fit does not feel as satisfying as it should.

With that said, however, with such a short novel, it has some great stuff in it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Can Remember It for You Wholesale.

Kurt Marquart I think you missed the TwilightZone-esque twist of the deeper memory that ultimately is the reason they can't kill him.