Yellow Rose's Reviews > The Prize

The Prize by Julie Garwood

12086034
Aug 21, 12

The book revolves around the love of Nicholaa and Royce. The invading Normans, kidnap the Saxon bride our heroine to send her back to London, so that King Williams men compete over whose wife she becomes. In addition, Royce is the only man to succeed in the venture when it comes to bringing her to London. We are brought to a different circumstance however as Nicholaa gains the respect of the Queen, the Queen suggests another notion to the King. That Nicholaa chose her own husband and she chooses Royce. It's understandable it's the only man she knows who had treated her well, so far, if she had chosen a different man she might not have been treated so great after all. However, she chooses him to annoy him, which made the book so unbelievable. A woman at that time would not cost her reputation to act like an overgrown child feminist.

Nicholaa is flighty she is a nag; she is hardly a woman that existed at that time. Because simply put she is way too dumb!! First of all, she acts like a modern day feminist who traveled back in time, gets kidnapped by Royce, acts childish and stupid. Second, a woman of her position would know way more about the world and would not act as ignorant. Royce is protective over her right from the beginning; he does not force her to have sex when she is injured. He is the dream guy to have, of course, he has negative qualities, overall he is a great man and he treats Nicholaa like a princes. However, our Nicholaa nags him, she complains, she seeks to "control" him, how is that sexy and spunky I do not know. Any man during those times no matter how good would not put up with her childish dumb behavior. Sorry and a woman in those times if she was married off to a man like Royce, she would love him she would not try to "control" him or change him. That is why marriages fail because women try to control the men, that is why this book failed in that aspect.

The writing was a bit dry and I seriously expected better prose from the author. I mean the book is written in the 90s I would think now people have more trouble with grammar. Apparently, same grammar issues existed in the 90s too. The story was very original I thought because I have not read romances that dealt with the Norman Conquest, so that was an interesting experience. Overall, the book is a brief beach read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prize.