Krystl Louwagie's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Aug 21, 2012

liked it
Read from August 21 to September 11, 2012

This book definitely had it's ups and downs. However, none of them were super up for me. :p It felt a little too...annoyingly modern to me. Like being trendy was something the author was trying too hard to do. However, that was a small annoyance. The big annoyance was when this stupid love story came out of nowhere and I didn't care about it-at all. Like I said, it came out of nowhere. And oh, the guy is literally a beyond perfect looking angel. *yawn/gag*
When we finally get a little back story on the love story, it is much more enjoyable than the current love story, so that beefed up my rating. So, the current story line in this, I wasn't impressed with. I was interested in the past story that's told late in the story-there are interesting concepts, ideas, and imagery. Still, I felt a bit like this book didn't really know what it wanted to be. And while it passed the time, I wasn't too upset when it ended. I think it could've been a lot better if maybe the story had ruminated around in the author's head for about 10 more years and really developed into something good. And the teeth thing, that was good. However, anyone reminded a bit of the Cylon wars with it? ;)

08/26/2012 "I know this is going to turn into a love story, but I wish it wouldn't." 2 comments
09/02/2012 "Kind of just waiting to be done at this point."

Jenna Wow, the thing you liked most about it is what I liked least. And we still ended up with the same rating! Do you think you'll read the sequel?

Krystl Louwagie Jenna wrote: "Wow, the thing you liked most about it is what I liked least. And we still ended up with the same rating! Do you think you'll read the sequel?"

I will if I come a crossed it easily-for less than a dollar somewhere or on audio at a library, or if I borrowed it from someone.

Jenna Yeah, I'm in no hurry to get ahold of the sequel (it comes out in November) like I was this first book. I bought this one for myself for Christmas, but I'm not sure if I want to hang on to it or complete the series. I do want to read the rest, I just don't know if I want it on my shelf. It's hard to say.