bookczuk's Reviews > The Song Reader

The Song Reader by Lisa Tucker

Dec 12, 08

bookshelves: bookcrossing
Read in December, 2008

I picked this up initially because I always have a song or two rambling through my head, and often spilling out over my lips. It can be anything from Immittet Angelus to the theme from Sesame Street. No wait. That's a bad example. There's actually a musical relationship between those two. How about anything from Stardust to When You Wish Upon a Star. No wait. This is harder than I thought. How about Greensleeves to Happy Trails to You (which is the song I want played at my funeral, by the way)?

Anyhow, the music in my head (I dislike the term earworm) fascinates me and keeps me good company. It soothes my soul. I like it. So the idea of someone interpreting the playlist of my brain was really interesting. What does it say about me? What do the lyrics and tunes reveal?

The story didn't actually live up to the hype or hope I had for it, but it was a moderately good read. An interesting exploration into fragile minds, family function and dysfunction, telling secrets and an adolescent coming of age. I really enjoy "first books" of new authors and that added a special delight to me for this. I will be interested to see what else Lisa Tucker brings to the book world.

Now if someone could just tell me why I have There's No Place Like Home For the Holidays in my head, I'd be happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song Reader.