Peter Gorman II's Reviews > Half Life

Half Life by Shelley Jackson

Aug 21, 2012

it was ok
Read in January, 2006 — I own a copy

This one was a bit rough. The average rating for Half Life was about a 3 here on Goodreads. I gave it a two to take it down a smidge. Here we have you typical love-hate relationship between conjoined twins as a result of a nuclear bomb drop. 'Bomb' and 'drop', are exactly the words I would use to describe Ms. Jackson's debut novel. Listen, it's a decent idea...hell, that's why I bought the book! However, the plot is a cacophony of ideas thrown up on the page in front of the reader. One critical review I read prior to purchase said the plot was 'a little too busy'. This is a favorite phrase for critics. What they are trying to get at is that the plot is hard to follow because there is too much going on for their puny little minds to follow. This book was not 'busy' it was ADHD personified. Shelley doesn't stick to one idea long enough for the reader to care at all what will happen next. I have a major problem in reading that I fully own. Once I have begun to read a book, I don't give up on it. Even if I am miserable and don't want to continue, I will drag the book out forever, but I will get it done.

Half Life falls into the category of a 'dragger'and at 70% read, I was begging for the finish line. Great idea, poor execution. This is her first attempt, so give her some time, but don't give this one your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Life.