Mary's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

5208181
Aug 21, 2012

bookshelves: can-t-put-it-down, fiction, nook, favorites, finished-2012, quick-read, serious-topic
Read from August 21 to 22, 2012

I don't agree with those who say this isn't a "good story." Even though there are not high adventures and edge of your seat plot aspects going on, I think both the subject and the way this story was written were an introspective thing to explore. So many dystopian plots center on things I really can't see happening anytime soon - or at all - but this book shows the slowing of the world and it FEELS real. I felt like I was taking a glimpse at a girls memories from a momentous period of time, and it was beautifully written and explored. "Nothing really happens" seems to be a complaint, but that's just it - how can society adjust or react in the face of the earth's slowing? It is a lonely novel written from the perspective of a girl on the fringe of things...and I adored it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.

08/21/2012
41.0% "I am loving this book. Everyone should read it! The writing is fantastic and feels so real and ugh. I am so happy I stumbled upon this in my nook library."
08/22/2012
62.0% "I love this book. A lot."