Glenna's Reviews > The Zookeeper's Wife

The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman

Dec 10, 08

Read in December, 2008

What happens to your zoo after it is bombed in the war? Use it in the underground railroad to help save the lives of Jews. This is a true story of courage and ingenuity. This book spends most of the time talking about what happened before, during and after the war at the zoo. It does not really dwell on the atrocities going on around them. That makes it a nice read because you do know what is happening around them, but you don't have to read about stacks of bodies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zookeeper's Wife.

Marian Looks like this book has taken Blue Bottle Club spot as the new Barker "to-read".

Glenna I know, it makes me nervous. What if everyone wants me to change my stars?! :-) Actually my goal is to find a book that will get a record number of comments, but it will take a lot to beat Dana's book.

Marian Well, if you're only counting posts specifically about the book then the number to beat is much fewer!

Eliece okay, I promise not to make any more comments about anyone's stars!

message 5: by Janell (last edited Dec 14, 2008 08:58PM) (new)

Janell It's good to be on the same "page", though, so we know how to evaluate the rating! (No pun intended!)

Marian I noticed Dana's comments have reached a record 26. You have a ways to go. Tell us more of this book. Any nudity? That seems to get 'em talking!

Glenna No naked people, but the animals didn't have any clothes on.

message 8: by Janell (last edited Dec 19, 2008 05:09PM) (new)

Janell How depressing is this one? You said they didn't talk about the bodies but I sometimes have a hard time with books on WWII. Went through a phase in high school where it's all I read and now it's hard to pick one up. PS - I think the "naked people" is going to haunt me for a very long time! :-)

Glenna I didn't think this one was depressing like others that I have read. It spends time actually talking about the animals and different situations they found themselves in and how they handled it. A lot of it comes from the real diary of the zookeepers wife.