Heather's Reviews > What I Didn't Say

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: youngadult
Read in June, 2012

This book deals with a LOT of difficult and heavy subjects – teen drinking, death, homelessness…the list goes on. And I was a bit worried that the tone might be a bit too mature for a teen. But Jake is both mature and immature, and I think that really speaks well for the author’s writing.

Jake’s life is forever changed after a car crash. He can’t speak, will never speak again, and his plans for after high school have been changed. Just like any teen, what weighs even more heavily on his mind is that he will never be able to tell Samantha just how much he likes her. He has to deal with the concern from not just his classmates, but the entire island who has taken him under his wing. He hates the pity, the stares at the physical changes, and how his relationship with his best friends will never again be as easy as it once was.

I really liked the progression of Jake and Samantha’s relationship. Samantha takes him under her wing, and never pities him. She won’t take his attitude, and tells him. Taylor just a great job at the slow reveal of what is happening with Sam, and Jake has to struggle with how to keep her secrets when her needs are not being met.

Starting the book took me a little while, but once I post-accident, I couldn’t put it down. I read it in one sitting! I’d recommend this to mature teens, and adults who like “difficult” topic-books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Didn't Say.