Livi St Peter's Reviews > Okay for Now

Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: favorites

(Bear with me I read this book atleast two months ago but I remember the plot and how heart-wrenchingly amazing it was.)

Wow. I've also read The Wednesday Wars by the fantabulous Mr. Schmidt, but this book doesn't even compare. It's so well thought out and Doug's voice is so beautiful. Things that you think have absolutely zero meaning to you are beautiful and delicate to Doug. I LOVED the terrified eye that he kept referring back to, and every time he did I would nearly start sobbing.

Holling in TWW seems like a kid with a hard life-style with a sister who midly cares about him, and you feel so bad for him because of it. But then you get to Doug and his story just kills you on the inside. He just wants so badly to be loved, have people stop labeling him because of his brothers and his father. He wants his mother to smile again, he wants to be accepted at school. GAH. The ending. I just absolutely didn't want this book to end. I wanted it to follow into Doug's seventies. I just wanted more of this absolutely amazing boy.

I hoped you liked yet another book review telling you to read this book because it is so flippin amazing. Thank you Mr. Schmidt for ripping my heart out and feeding it to a deer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Okay for Now.