Natalie's Reviews > Shadow of Night

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Sep 01, 12

Cannot believe this book has 4 stars??? Have you read the same book I just suffered through?? (actually listened to as a 24 hour long audiobook!! should have been my first warning) I don't even want to read the 3rd book I'm so turned off by this LONG, confusing sequel. I can't imagine how she will be able to close the MANY loose ends she has floating out there. And by the way, did anyone else follow that crazy weaver business? Two more of many pet peeves about this was the lame jack be nimble, jack be quick- really? And the pointless last chapter, it was like she had to slap that in there to justify the title. How about focusing on a story next time. Just because you can write 600 pages doesn't mean it all needs to be published. Shame on the editor that let this slide through. At this point I could care less what happens to these creatures, as I smile wolfishly...is there any other way to smile?

I suggest reading some of the other 1 star reviews for a more accurate description of this book's flaws. I have no idea what the 4-5 star reviewers read, maybe they got a condensed readers digest version. Right now I'm just so annoyed that I paid for this book.

To end on a positive note, the actress who read the story did very well considering what she had to work with.

Anyway, if you are insistent on reading it, good luck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Natalie Definitely different strokes! I actually read another VERY LONG book and loved it. I noticed some of its reviews were mixed as well. (Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss) Oh well, we just read on!!

message 2: by Bud (new) - rated it 1 star

Bud I'm struggling to get thru this one also. At half way point. Loved book 1. Story just going on and on and on and on. Haha. If doesn't pick up shortly I will give up and not finish it.

CrimsonTyd "Just because you can write 600 pages doesn't mean it all needs to be published." amen sister.

Linda C I actually bail much faster on audio books than book books. Even though I'm a captive audience in the car, if the narrator's voice really annoys me (as opposed to merely annoys me, as most of the narrators are untalented idiots who think they are the next Olivier), I will quit listening. Some of the narrators are just so incredibly bad that it distracts from the book.

Shellien Wow. We really must have been reading different books. I also listened to the audio book and absolutely loved the story (you're right about the reader. She's amazing). I respect your opinion but have to say that I completely disagree with it. I'm thrilled that the book was as long as it was and wish the 3rd one was out!!!

Karen Batshaw I loved the first book. Was so looking forward to this one. Didn't like it at all. Found myself skimming pages waiting for it to get better& it never did.

Nora I agree that it's too long. The first parts dhould have probably been condensed a bit. but the story is good and

Nora Last comment was sent prematurely. I think the story picked up as it progressed and I'm fairly certain that all the characters from the beginning will have some impact on the third book, so while the book was slow at first I thought the story and the characters were compelling.

Jerra Connors I'm about 100 pages into this book and I don't find it slow at all. I think DH has done a great job introducing the new characters and helping us understand who they are. The length of the book is complaint of yours and many others on here but many books I read are between 500 and 600 pages so that to me makes no sense. And finally, you feel this book is confusing....once again, not sure what you found so confusing, I know I'm only in chapter 9 but unless it goes totally crazy as the book goes on, I'm not sure what's got you so confused. So far the book is awesome and just as good as the first. To each his own I guess

Ladyhawk Loved the story. The historical detail was excellent! I don't feel any part of the story was unnecessary. Was I happy with the behavior of some characters all the time? Of course not. They do not always behave the way we wish them to. This creates angst and is the fuel for a good story.

message 11: by Dany (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dany Sorry to all those who,bravely, keep on defending the book, but I totally agree with Natalie. The story does not make any sense. Yes, agree, the historical notions are good, but we are reading a fiction at the end of the day. There is a story plot too. I can't believe people decide to completely ignore all the no-sense that DH created with the time-travel business... ( Reed brilliant review of Mary https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...).
Please, people who give a 4 stars ( and sometimes unbelievably 5), can you tell me what's so brilliant about this story? As I really don't get how you can read a book, pick only what you like, and ignore all the rest